1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Where to download films?

Discussion in 'General' started by sotu1, 22 May 2009.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

hi guys,

just wondering if there were any places i can legitimately download films from?

Currently lookin to to get a few classics cheaply because i prefer a digital format over DVDs (I constantly lose them) ideally they should DRM free and play on anything!

I know the itunes store has a load of films, but they tend to be a little over priced for some of the older stuff, which is annoying when the films are cheaper on DVD....

anyway, suggestions welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: 22 May 2009
  2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

DRM free movies? haha. good luck. MPAA is years behind the RIAA when it comes to digital distribution.

your best bet is to buy bargain DVDs and rip - there are loads of one-click solutions out there now.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

publicdomaintorrents

4. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Bad Bindi! :nono:

:runs and hides:

5. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Put the "W" on the start of your thread title please, it's making the grammar nazi in me rise up and do naughty things :duh:

7. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

8. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Are you familiar with this site? One of the best:

http://www.archive.org/details/movies

I'd recommend the Instant Watch option for Netflix, but that's only available in the States (and the movies are a bit too mainstream). Surely there must be monthly watch-on-demand subscription services in the UK.

Veoh has a a directory of public domain films:

http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/public+domain+movies

Rai used to host an amazing Italian film archive on the web, but I'm not certain it's still up. I've found films by Mario Bava and Umberto Lenzi that have never been available anywhere.

UBUWeb used to host the best historical archive of experimental film and music, but they've been forced to take most of that content down. There's still a lot worth seeing.

Here's the address:

http://www.ubu.com/film/

OT: Any Michael Powell fans here? I've been pleading with Norman Foster's widow for a DVD/Blu-Ray release of Bluebeard's Castle for years. I saw it at the Walter Reade Theater in New York and it's one of Powell's best. It is to Bartok what Tales of Hoffman is to Offenbach, only with The Red Shoes' set design and Bartok's infinitely superior music.

And for those who missed it, Bindi might have been referring to this site:

http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/nshowcat.html?category=ALL

Last edited: 23 May 2009
  9. Prestidigitweeze

"its only illegal if you are stupid enough not to encrypt your traffic."

I'd have followed your logic had you said, "you'll only get caught if you are stupid enough not to encrypt your traffic."

Your statement makes it sound as if criminal acts only exist if they're discovered.

That idea suggests an interesting new strain of self-absorption: shared solipsism, the belief held by a group of people, not an individual, that the universe is the creation of their senses.

Fascinating stuff, that. I look forward to seeing how this plays out and hope you'll keep us informed.

I can't wait for the first shared solipsist election. On second thought, you won't actually need one.

Last edited: 23 May 2009
  10. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Theres a thread for piracy you "Prestidigitweeze" can express your thoughs there... if you would like proper dialog without flaming people.

On the matter, I have to admit that it is quite difficult to find old movies legally on the web. You could always buy the dvds cheap and then rip them, throw the dvd away and you are good to go :D!

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

As fod said really, buy the DVD and rip it yourself is the more permanent solution. That way if your HDD goes belly up you can re-rip them from the DVD's.
    iTunes, already mentioned but expensive.
    Lovefilm do digital rentals, once again not hugely cheap however.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

so what are these one click rip solutions then? cuz last time i tried i ended up with 7 .vob files amounting to 3.6gb a film.... because lets face it, £2 second hand amzon dvds are a bucketload cheaper than the prices on itunes.....

13. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

What I don't get is "owning" a movie. Once I've seen a movie, I usually scratch it off my list. There are many places to watch content without owning it.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yep like netflix.. can rip to whatever format you want- not saying it's legal.. but it has been known to happen

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm with you on this one, once I've watched it I don't really have a need for it anymore.

Although I do have the Star Wars collection o_O

PS, keep the talk on topic, we all know where to download copyrighted material, the OP is looking for a legal solution.
    yodasarmpit.

16. Prestidigitweeze

If you imagine that having fun with grammatical ambiguities = "flaming" someone, then you need a few new debating friends. An old one of mine, Jeff Bolt, defines seriosity as a disease causing the inability to distinguish between wordplay and invective. Elizabeth Bishop once wrote an enticing poem, "The Man-Moth," based on a misprint of "The Mammoth." No flame-war ensued. For further examples, see the letters of Groucho Marx.

But if you're truly concerned about my taking a thread OT, then it's rather odd for you to want to have the last word, which inevitably provokes responses. Two giveaways as to your intent:

1. The need to put my user name in quotes while everyone else's remains without, thus expressing disapproval in classic illiterate form. Typical example: "Then they sat down and played their 'music' -- if that's what you'd call it." Yes, music is what it should be called, since it is that literally. I might call it bad music, assuming I agreed, but I wouldn't call it miniature golf. Who, exactly, is being quoted?

2. Your peddle-your-business-elsewhere tone suggests you're adopting the mantle of a moderator despite your misreading the situation and subsequently aggravating it yourself.

The irony: Just before the previous poster's OT mention of piracy, I posted actual links the OP requested and might or might not find useful. Tell me, Slaughter (or, if you prefer, "Slaughter"): What exactly have you said or done to offer assistance to the OP?

Last edited: 24 May 2009
    Akava likes this.
  17. Prestidigitweeze

On topic: The major deterrent to the buy-and-rip procedure comes when the shelves grow so crowded you'd have to stop watching new films.

I'm a fan of hard copies myself, but there comes a point when small terra hard drives become more feasible than hard copies of every single film/album/book.

I could be wrong, but perhaps sotu1 needs the space.

18. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

hulu.com has some films on there. not a lot but you can stream some stuff. :)

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

its actually more a case of i often lose my bloody discs...i'm terrible like that. maybe the best thing is a really big cd wallet, but even then i just lose them all the time!

20. Jake37

Jake37 What's a Dremel?

cheers guuys i'm more then up to scratch now thanks!