1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AMD CPU/Mobo combo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Nikon, 20 Aug 2005.

1. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon What's a Dremel?

ok
    so apparently a lot of ppl told me to go for AMD rather then Intel which is probably what i am going to do unless some more ppl say intel is better. ok so now i dunno which processor to get i found these two....an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or an AMD Athlon 64 4000+(claw hammer) now i dont know much about AMD so i need someone to tell me which one should I get and why and about the motherboard i think i am going to buy the DFI Motherboard LAN Party NF4 SLI-DR...is that a good choice for an AMD or what???? :confused: help me lol cuz i am an AMD noob lol

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The A64-X2 is about the best all-round processor you can buy at the moment. It's a good choice; as for the DFI SLI-DR, it's the bee's knees of S939 mobo's at the moment, it clocks like mad and has plenty of features.

Both are bloody good buys atm. :)

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Edited thread title to be a bit more specific :)

4. Lord Nikon

thanx man

thanx man for the help its koo that u changed the name i was typing too fast when i did it i had no topic well apparently i will get those too so koo =]

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

It really depends what you want as well; great performance when mulitasking or rediculous single thread perofmrance with less multitasking abilities?

6. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

Why would he need to buy an SLI motherboard if he didn't say he was going to be using SLI?
    If your a novice don't go with DFI.

7. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

maybe you should wait until crossfire hits mainstream, I heard it's all raining down in september.

Proccesorwise, go with the 3800+ X2 (2.0Gzh Manchester core) crank it up to 2.4Ghz and it can compite on some levels (because the multithreadiness) with a FX-57.

That's what i'm planning to do though :D

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

To hell with Xfire and SLI, what do we need it for?
    A single 7800GT/GTX is enough, I don't get it!

(I'm not the only who thinks this) :p

9. Lord Nikon

lol

i'ma get the ASUS or atleast try lol geforce 6800 ultra 256...so ....

10. Lord Nikon

and yeah its enough now! but later when quake 4 comes out and other new games i'ma need sli!!! :D

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Not Quake 4; id say more like Unreal Tournament 2007, and other games based on Unreal engine 3; like Gears of War if it were coming out on PC :(

12. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Don't bother! The 7800GT is selling for $389. The 6800 Ultra's still in the $400 range, and the 7800's are much faster.

SLI motherboards have dropped in price to almost be reccomendable to a normal user. The MSI SLI board is one with a very low price tag. If you know you don't want SLI, then go for an nForce Ultra or a VIA KT890. You should go for PCI-Express support if you're buying now, since everything new should come out in PCI-E flavors.

Most people reccomend AMD over Intel for gaming reasons, and I'm glad to have an AMD for gaming, since it's aeons faster than my P4 3.0. There are some programs that feel slower since the AMD has no hyperthreading support, but if you go for a dual core CPU, it should make up for some of the loss of smoothness.

With regards to choosing a motherboard, do you have any brand loyalties? If it's ASUS, find the chipset you want and then buy the board. If you're concerned about the clock speed difference between AMD and Intel, keep in mind that both have their strong points and that speed isn't everything. Ideally, you should buy the fastest CPU that you can afford to be able to hold off from needing to upgrade anytime soon. Same with the video card and memory.

I'd suggest the X2 3800 if you do more than gaming (rip things, CPU intensive thing etc) and if you don't, the San Diego 4000 instead of the Clawhammer (the SD is a bit faster and supports SSE3) would be a better choice. The X2 4400 is about $80 more.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2005
  13. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Yeah Fibbles, thats a good point.
    In terms of price, it doesn't cost that much for a SLI board over the Ultra board we'd all get ;)
    Depends what you need it for really.

14. Lord Nikon

thanx everyone for the reply its really making me see some things about AMd ann SLi i didnt know but yeah i am going to go for the AMD x2 3800+ the motherboard most likely DFI Nf4 SLi-DR and i am still deciding on the RAM :confused: I am thinking on 2 512's Corsair XMS Xpert any comments or suggestions on the ram??? and i mean about the video card by the time i get all this stuff hopefully the 7800 gtx will go down a bit and i can afford it :D :D :D otherwise its gonna take some time to save money for it =] thanx fibbles for that intensive reply bit-tech has never failed me =] thanx to all

15. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I meant to say DFI, not ASUS :worried:

I've been wondering about nVidia and the 7800's a little bit though. The last thing I read showed all the price drops and where the 6800's fit into place with the 7800's. With ATI being very late into this generation, is nVidia keeping the 7800's to the high end only? If they are and it will be a long while before there are 7800 basics out, perhaps a 6800GT would be a good investment, especially if you can get one for under $300. For a little over $200, there's PCI-E 6800's with 256mb of RAM. Perhaps that card could hold you off until you could get a more high end card down the line. The x800XL is another good choice for a relatively cheap video card that will last a while before it's 100% outdated, but the price gap between them and the 6800GT might be a little too small, and the GT is a better card by most reviews I've read.