1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Which graphics card and monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neonplanet40, 3 Aug 2016.

1. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Current build:
    Asus P8P67-M, Intel 2500k ,Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus PSU cooler, 8GB (2x4gb)Corsair XMS3, 256GB Crucial MX SSD and 500GB Samsung F3, Sapphire R280 , OCZ ZT750W Modular PSU, Akasa Eclipse-32, Sony DVD-rw, Windows 10 Professional

Hi folks. I was going to upgrade my entire computer but after recommendations I have decided to overclock the cpu and instead upgrade my graphics card and monitor.

I am looking for a 27 inch monitor with a 2k resolution. Not 4k.i can't afford that new 1200 quid gpu to run it.

Monitor will be used for games, productivity and movies.

Budget for both is 800 - £900.

Can you guys help me out?

Thank you.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

3. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

I should say I am happy going with a 4k screen if it's in budget and has better picture quality. A few have said that decent 2k 27 inch screens are few and far between. I have checked that Dell out a few times.

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I think the issue is that to drive a 4K screen you are gonna need to get a pretty hefty graphics card.

(Those with 4K gaming rigs feel free to come and correct me)

5. Cellular Peptide

Cellular Peptide What's a Dremel?

I am also looking to make the same upgrade. I use my PC for gaming and business.

So far I must of spent several days reading Custom PC and watching YouTube reviews of various monitors. After a few hours I usually decide upon a monitor, only to later find another review, which criticises it for one of the following reasons:

1. Backlight bleed.
    2. Ghosting.
    3. Poor response time.
    4. Shoddy guarantees in regards the number of allowable defects (dead pixels).

Having spoken to a few enthusiasts some of them have purchased as many as six monitors in the last three years. Crazy!

As the poster has said above monitor technology is in a state of turmoil at the moment. It is really difficult to chose what to buy.

I have bought Dell monitors in the past. The quality control seems to be higher on those than many other manufacturers IMO.

Also it seems with many manufacturers you are playing a lottery when you take a monitor out the box, in regards how many defects the monitor will have.

Sorry to confuse matters for you, but I was going to make an identical post myself.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2016
  6. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Well hopefully we both get answers haha. I'm using various forums and am still none the wiser!

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Dell will be highly recommended across most forums of this nature, They have a very good warranty, There IPS screens are pretty much the best you will get for the price.

4k is pointless unless your budget includes a new high end gpu every year to run it.

Bladestorm likes this.
  8. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I bought this monitor earlier this year and it is beautiful. A few of the reviews mentioned a bit of back-light bleed in the corners and this is true, but only when on an effectively blank screen - I've never once noticed it in actual usage.

My old monitor was supposed to be good for colour reproduction but sat next to the dell its whites look like slightly yellowed paper - no contest with the new one, which has both lovely subtle colours and gorgeous vibrant ones where it should. I must admit after getting it I spent a bit of time just marvelling at images that looked much better than they had before!

I'm still on an GTX 660 (!) and definitely in the market for a new GPU to go with it, everything I've read makes me think that the GTX 1070 is the card to go for and I'm sure I'd be happy with it - but the price is still putting me off, so I find myself checking the prices on the 1060 and 1070 practically daily to see where they are going.

So far it feels like "nowhere" for the 1060, but the 1070 has been moving - a couple weeks back Palit either launched or repriced its products down to the £370-£400 range and this last week now that supplies seem to be stabilising Asus and perhaps others knocked some £30 off there prices, bringing them much nearer to £400. Now the question is how much further can they go? And which make and model is going to be a good bet?

If I'm going for a card that is well over my usual budget and I will be using a lot, including for productivity then clearly it needs to be both reliable, quiet and easily warranty-able so I think Palit's 2 year warranty lets them out of the running, much as I admire what they are doing. Beyond that two fans seem like a minimum, and that is about as far as I have got.

9. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Well I ordered a Palit 1070 8GB GameRock and a Dell U2715H.

Looking forward to get it. Also got an XTZ 12.17 subwoofer :p