1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Which lens?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by swanseasa2, 19 Mar 2011.

1. swanseasa2

swanseasa2 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I am very new to all the photography lark hence needing your help!

Id really like to get a macro lens and a wide angle lens. Iv found two which are in my price range, except I dont really understand what all the numbers mean; if they are any good; and if they will fit my camera (Canon Eos 400D).

The wideangle lens is a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220699415710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The macro lens is a Canon EF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 USM Macro Mark I SLR Lens http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270721621582&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any advice would be appreciated before I part with my hard earned money :D

Thanks guys

2. Vers

Vers ...

The 28-105 will not give you true macro (1:1), despite the word being used in the lens' name. You can add a close up filter and or extension tubes to get you closer however you might not even get 1:1 by doing so. The 18-55IS is decent enough for what it is, however it's relatively slow both in terms of AF speed and aperture. However, it may work just fine for you.

What is your budget?

3. swanseasa2

my budget is as cheap as possible! im a Masters student earning £300 a month with £450 outgoing each month! :p you can see the dilema lol

4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I have the 28-105 on my 550D and if your after close up macro shots, its not the lens you want at all.

I'm relatively new to photography too, and am not 100% sure what Vers means by 1:1, but in as much as getting as close to subjects as possible, the kit 18-55 IS is much better (af is annoyingly slow though).

As far as what will fit your camera, any EF or EF-S lens will, so both of those would.

I may just be slaughtered for suggesting this, but you can also get cheap macro lenses that screw on to your normal lens like filters - obviously not the same as a proper macro lens, but good for experimenting with.

I've found this is a good site for lens reviews: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx

As for what all the numbers mean, heres a decent guide http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm
    There are other really good tutorials on that site :)

Edit: Having seen your budget, i'll point you to these. As far as geting the subject close goes, they do the job, and i haven't noticed any image quality problems from my set.

5. Vers

Vers ...

Yeah, that's rough. You may want to keep an eye out for a used Sigma 17-70--it won't get you 1:1 macro but it will do for close ups and obviously will provide you with a relatively wide are of view with good range and a decent variable aperture. Another good lens, which doesn't focus as close as the Sigma or provide you with the range but does offer a constant aperture of f/2.8, is the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

6. swanseasa2

thanks for the comments guys. I will certainly do some more research and start working on the parents to give me some money :p

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The 10-22 is a fantastic wide angle for Canon EF-S but it's certainly expensive. Having said that, it barely left my 350d on many-a trips abroad.

Honestly, I would explore your current lenses more - learn to use them and all the modes until you really feel like you've outgrown them.

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

As already mentioned above :) Tamron 17-50 f2.8 if you can pick one up 2nd hand for your budget your laughing its a superb lens :).

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

as an alternative to the tamron the sigma 18-50 2.8 is the lens which is on my nikon the most. the sigma second hand price of the 18-50 dropped a fair bit when the released the 17-50 2.8 os