1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Which Media Centre Software (Windows)?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tomm, 28 Jun 2009.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

OK, so I want a Media Centre software for my old PC which is being turned into an HTPC. I've been using my xbox with XBMC for a few years now, and I love it, particularly the library mode function - going back to browsing by file names seems so last-century now. For those not familiar with XBMC, it basically scrapes info based on your file names, and then downloads episode names / blurb / ratings etc.

Requirements:
    1. A library mode that can scrape from IMDB / TheTVdb.
    2. Support for recording / timeshifting with one (or possibly two) Hauppauge USB Freeview tuner(s).
    3. Windows underneath so I can bob out and do other things
    4. Support for my NAS (are there any that won't support this?)

PC is an Athlon 64 3200+ with 1Gb Ram if that makes a difference. XBMC would be perfect if it supported tuners, I'm not sure if there is anything with such a fully-featured library mode as XBMC though?

Or perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a table explaining the features of various media centre programs? There are so many now it's a total minefield.

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Media Portal should do you fine i think it ticks the box for all that you need

they have recently finished version 1 and have started on 2.0

3. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

why not keep using XBMC? there is a windows version

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I was under the impression that there was no support for TV tuners in XBMC? Otherwise I absolutely would. I've googled but couldn't find much info about it - only people complaining that there is no support.

MediaPortal sounds good, will definitely have to check that out, although if XBMC has support for tuners I think I'd rather stick with what I know.