1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which mid-range 120GB SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfticket, 27 Oct 2011.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Corsair Force Series 3, OCZ Agility 3 or other?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I have a Corsair Force 3 and I am loving it so far :).

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Wait until Anandtech reviews the OCZ Octane - should be within about a week - as, based on the spec, this should be significantly faster than the M4, Intel 510 & at least the low end (Agility, Force 3, etc) & mid end (normal V3) SFs...

...& 'apparently', from a bit of searching, around the £140 mark for the 128GB 6Gb/s version (there's also a 3Gb/s version).

5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

why do i always buy things at the wrong time

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Well, it's only based on the spec - until Anand tests it then... - which 'suggest' it's got faster sequential r/ws than the M4, 510 & low-mid end SFs (& faster than 100% compressed ones on all of the SFs) @ 560 & 400MB/s respectively, & the lowest latency of any of the consumer SSDs.

it also, from reading the sales spin, will be very important to look at more than the atto/cdm/as ssd b/ms (though this is the same for all SSDs unless you're only using a single data type on them) as it's apparently been 'tuned' for both r.l. low end (minimal multitasking) & higher end (larger multitasking environments)... ...which you simply could not tell if there's a difference from running the quoted b/ms. Hence recommending waiting for Anand to review it.

&, provisionally, there will be no speed improvement from going above the 128GB - you'll simply buy the capacity you want (128GB-1TB) & the speeds will be consistent - unlike (esp) the 510 & M4 (& to a lesser extent the SFs) where there's a noticeable improvement between the 128GB & 256GB.

On the down side, it is likely to have the same issues with non-trim (ie raid) that the non-SFs have &, as is kind of obvious at the price it's at, is using 2Xnm nand (synchronous for the 6Gb/s & asynchronous for the 3Gb/s) which gives it a lower longevity than the 510 or high end SFs (V3 max iops, etc) - though there is some magical stuff that claims to double r-e-w cycles on the same nand.

[NB i'm *not* saying to buy this SSD (as there's no independent data on it yet) but that, as it's apparently out on the 1st of November, it'd be pointless not to wait & see whether it is as good as it appears on paper before spending money on an alternative.]

Yeah, this kind of came out of the blue with a press release a week ago (i only caught it a couple of days back) as, whilst OCZ now own indilinx (the Vertex & the V Turbo were great drives at the time), new SSDs are *always* out in March-May.