1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Which WIFI access point?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr. Strangelove, 26 May 2014.

1. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys
    My good old trusty Linksys WIFI router is starting to show its age and needs almost daily reboots these days.

So I'm on the market for a new WIFI access point. I don't need a WIFI router (I have a separate router), though it seems like almost all WIFI "access points" are also routers these days....

Anyway, can any of you clever guys recommend a good WIFI access point (or router...) ? I don't need anything fancy since I'm not even sure I have any devices that are more than G capable. I would just like to have stable wifi.

Thanks
    Jacob

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Have a look at the most recent posts in my networking thread. I've been discussing the same thing in preparation for adding more APs to my network. The discussion starts at post 117 here.

You are unlikely to find anything supporting below 802.11n on the market now, but I have just put two Linksys WAP300N units into an office which is similarly using 90% G-band devices with only a few N-capable ones. They are providing fantastic coverage and are only £50 each. If you're just looking for stable 802.11g wifi, it's a good option.

Going fully future proof with AC access points and routers is expensive at the moment. It's actually so expensive that it's completely out of reach for a lot of small businesses, never mind consumers with large areas to cover. My AC router would have cost £170 at retail, and AC access points/extenders are all over £100 as well.

Last edited: 26 May 2014