1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple White line(s) on MacBook Pro display...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riggs, 9 Mar 2010.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

I've got a non-unibody MBP from mid 2008 and I've just noticed a really annoying white line on the display. It kinda looks like something inside the screen has been damaged and the backlight is shining through more than it should.

Here's a close up piccy;
    [​IMG]

In reality, the lines are only around 2mm high, but still really annoying when watching/playing anything dark (they're not really visible against bright backgrounds).

By the looks of it, it seems to line up with the 'lip' just underneath the bottom row of keys. Anyone got any idea what might possibly cause this? I don't think it's down to physical contact with the 'lip' because there's no scratch/mark on the screen...just these bloody lines underneath!

Nothing I can really do with it either as it's well out of it's warranty. I wish I picked up an extended warranty now, this is the 2nd problem I've had with this machine (the other being the POS DVD drive that really struggles to read discs).

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Screen burn? My wife uses a iMac at work, and her desktop images has lots of bright squares on it. As Photoshop on the Mac stupidly allows you to see the desktop rather than give you a neutral grey workspace, the white areas have already started to burn the screen.

No idea who makes the panel for the new iMac, but I'd avoid any monitors that use it.

3. kahanejosh

kahanejosh What's a Dremel?

I'll just add you can setup Photoshop on the Mac very easily to have the grey background. At the top of the screen there will be a button in Photoshop for arranging your workspace and select fullscreen or fullscreen with toolbar or something and voila.

4. Pookeyhead

Doesn't work the same. It's just the same controls as on a PC or toggling through "F", where you can put it into full frame mode, but then you can't have images in individual smaller windows within the PS workspace. The minute you want to do that, it drops back to seeing your desktop "through" the workspace.

Example:

[​IMG]

I've never been able to do that on a Mac without seeing the desktop behind. The only way is to set a plain grey wallpaper to the desktop. As a photographer, I need a neutral grey space to work in otherwise it can mess up your colour judgement.

Stupid Mac.

If there's a way, please let me know.

Back on topic.

It looks like it could be screen burn from cells of a spreadsheet or something. If that turns out to be teh case, there's nothing you can do really.

Any chance of a better, bigger photo showing the entire screen? It's hard to put it into context with the image you have posted.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Thanks for the reply Pookey, although I don't think it's screen burn. First off, none of my desktop backgrounds are that brightly coloured and don't match up to where the lines are. Secondly, I don't really use spreadsheets that much so it can't be that. They're not really uniform lines either...the height seems to vary along each line. I'll try and get a full screen photo tonight.

As for your Photoshop problem, I've got no idea but would love to know. It's the one thing about PS Mac that I hate - I'm always accidentally clicking on the desktop which causes PS to lose 'focus'. It's a pain in the ass!

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I think it's possible that you've put pressure on the screen and forced in into the keyboard whilst the laptop was closed? I had a Vaio that would do that (no glass screen cover) and eventually it damaged the screen into little squares roughly corresponding to the keys. Only happened in the middle of the screen (maximum point of flex, obviously) and it didn't leave any other marks. If yours is a non-unibody and you're in the habit of putting it in a rucksack with a lot of heavy books there might be a causal relationship there...

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

@PureSilver - you're probably right, although I'm not sure when this would've happened. I only even transport my lappy in my padded laptop bag so I've got no idea how I could've put that much pressure on the screen.

It's just really annoying...it's not like I can justify buying a new MBP yet, but when I do eventually sell this one, the screen problem along with the crap DVD drive are gonna reduce it's value somewhat.

8. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

Not sure about the super duper photoshops, but elements 8 has a solid window on MacOS :)

[​IMG]

9. Pookeyhead

Yeah but that's a completely different UI from PS CS4.

I can only hope CS5 will sort it.. but I hope in vain I reckon. It's been like that on the Mac since I can remember.

10. matty4467

matty4467 ...

Just to let you know you can have a solid background in photoshop on mac,

Go
    Window > and tick Application frame.

Hope this helps!

11. Pookeyhead

I'll try that tomorrow. My Mac is at work. Thanks.

[edit]

Works. Thanks for the tip. Obviously that item is not in the PC version menu, so never thought to look in there.

My Mac will be almost tolerable to use now :)

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010