1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling White Stuff :-s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ^Liam, 24 Apr 2004.

1. benje

benje Minimodder

thanks for the advice OMP. - will leave it be for a day or so.

mcman - sorry for not showing faith and all that, but you keep mentioning this washing up liquid suggestion, and to me it sounds ridiculus because washing up liquid foams as soon as u swish it around? Anyway if you are telling the truth I thank you very much for the suggestion, and will try it if the WW doesnt settle tomorrow evening when I add it.

Again thanks for the advice - and sorry for lack of faith ;)

2. mcmad

mcmad What's a Dremel?

hehe no probs,

one drop is not enough to foam up, but its enough to reduce surface tension or whatever to get rid of foam & small air bubbles..

3. benje

benje Minimodder

OK - had it running with just de-ionised water, loop was completely clear, but had quite a few small bubles flowign around the system.

Mcman - Added a TINY TINY drop of washing up liquid (really small) and it made the pump quieter, not as much fizzing. But now ALL the liquid has gone milky colour and there is loads of foaming at the res *AGAIN*

:wallbash: :wallbash: :waah:

ive spent so logn trying this now :(

is it something to do with the order of components u think?

4. mcmad

mcmad What's a Dremel?

is the water level above the inlets on the res ?? It really does look like you are getting air drawn into the pump from somewhere m8, a drop of washing up liquid should not foam, no way near enough to do that, ive done loads of builds with it & it always cured foam problems .Can I sugesst you try submerging the pump in a container with water, if the pump is drawing in air that will stop it, btw, just use the same water that you have in the loop just now & top it up with tap water or whatever. You are going to have to do some testing to see where its coming from but it is really looking like something is drawing in air.

5. benje

benje Minimodder

Ok mcmad - as I said earlier the washing up liquid seemed to cure the vast amounts of air bubles for a while, and stopped the pump fizzing so much and getting hot.

However I have just got back from work (8:30) and there is ALOT of foam in the res, the liquid is milky and the pump is making a loud fixxing noise again, and is hot...

HUmzzzz
    something is seriosly buggerey. :(

6. mcmad

mcmad What's a Dremel?

submerge it mate, pump is heating up beecause it it trying to pump air, if it clears submerged then you know the pump has a leak.

7. benje

benje Minimodder

Mcmad - shall I submerge it in de-ionised water?

8. benje

benje Minimodder

Too late :p

Ok i have completely submerged the pump in clean de-ionised water, along with re-filling the loop with clean de-ionised.

The pump's output still looks inconsistant, and there still is a load of air bubles flying around the system. SO the air bubles cant be from the pump :confused:

:wallbash: :waah: :waah: :waah:

any other ideas please/?

9. mcmad

mcmad What's a Dremel?

did you remove the tube from the inlet ? if so try it with one block only, then keep adding compnents & see what happens

10. benje

benje Minimodder

tube from the pump inlet? - nope not yet

11. mcmad

mcmad What's a Dremel?

k take that off, run pump submerged, add one compnent at a time to the loop & found out which is causing the foam.

12. benje

benje Minimodder

ok Mcmad - done everything you said.
    Took the radiator off, and just ran with pump > block > res
    and there are STILL bubles flying around the system :(.
    Almost exactly the same as when the radiator was on. I have recently bought an Innovatek GPU block, which I'm hoping may 'restrict' the flow a little and hopefully stop the masses of bubles flying around the system.

I have had a few thoughts that it might be the reservoir causing alot of turbulence and all the bubbles, but I thought these res's were like profesionally designed to not do this, and no-one else's seem to do this :(

would really appreciate more help guys :(

-
    ALSO mcmad I tried it with the pump submerged and with the inlet taken off, but all of the water drained out of the loop :s even when the pump was on it did not seem to be at all effective

13. SlackeR

SlackeR What's a Dremel?

i dont understand the point about the system draining :S
    i mean the water should be sucked from the bucket (or whatever it is in) and driven through the tubing by the pump..
    anyways: you could try to add some of the stuff used in dishwashers to reduce surface tension. ought to be just as good as the soap-thingy.. and i dont think it foams..
    also try flicking your pump on and off for a while.. and shake the pump a little. that helts if there is at bubble in the pump. it sounds like it, if the dishwasher soap made it silent and cool.. i think there is an air bubble inside the pump..

14. benje

benje Minimodder

Anyway, regardless I think I have managed to fix the problem with the help of Lashout_UK.

I pre-mixed a solution of like 2 TINY drops of Watter Wetter to about a Litre of de-ionised water. Then turned on pump and slowly filled the loop, which caused a load of foam to form in the pump outlet pipe, which then fairly cleared after the water in the loop got sufficient. Then it went the cloudy colour AS BEFORE. After turning off the pump for a while, I noticed this foam seperate from the clear water in the pipes. I managed to work all of this out of the system into the reservoir where it could escape. Then i topped up to the VERY TOP of the reservoir, and screwed the lid down.

The rig has been running perfectly for the last 2 days - water is perfectly clear, and no bubbles, and no fizzing from my pump (although it is still warm).
    I can barely tell if it is on or not!

Anyway - will have to do it all again when I recieve my Innovatec GPU block this week :p

Thanks to anyone awho helped me, and for those having this problem - SCOOP out all the foam, then fill res to the TOP and close lid. DO not leave lid open, as this allows air and bubles to be let into the system :)

15. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Heh, blummin' typical...

I just grabbed 10 minutes at lunchtime to have another look at the setup I'd done for you before taking it apart and mebbe digging out the 1250, just to see - I thought I'd just turn it on before stripping it and whaddya know, a steady stream of tiny little bubbles from the res.
    Turns out, the water level had dropped in the res by about a mm or two, to just below the shoulder and the force of the water slapping against it was creating the little bubbles which were subsequently being sucked down to the res outlet.

Topped it up - problem solved.
    Came here to post about it and you'd already sussed it. :duh:

Ne'er mind, glad you got it sorted in the end. :)

16. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

hi all
    has the same probs with my new set up too. lots of white bubbles in the pipes. tried lots of different things as mentioned and thru desperation i tried the washing up liquid. guess what, it worked and it worked well! crystal clear water thru my set up!

ta mcman for the tip

Tags: