1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who will win the console war?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 12 Jun 2008.

?

and the winner this generation is:

1. PS3, a young gun with a lot of potential

34 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. XBOX, solid in very many ways. but it's got ring burn...

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Wii, party people!

19 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

before we begin:

this is not asking you to decide which is the better console. it's likely that one console will pull through as the most successful console of it's generation. it never looked like it was going to be the PS3 on paper, it's release was littered with flaws, but it's beginning to shine. the xbox has had great success and despite RROD, has a good back catalogue of games and solid online features. the wii..is just wierd but sells like hotcakes and everyone wants one.

so, now that the consoles have had time to mature, who's gonna pull through?

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

They all seem to be coexisting quite happily at the moment.
    I don't think there is a console war.

For the record, I don't have any of them.

3. Major

Major Guest

All three consoles are different to one another, so they all win in my book.

4. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

I highly doubt the sales will be like last gen 120:25:20 (roughly) million. I think it'll be alot closer this time round. overall I think Wii will keep ahead of the others.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The only war on the console side is Xbox fanboys VS. PS3 fanboys.

The Wii Have a quite different user group. It's more family oriented, while Xbox/PS3 are more greed, fanboy, enthusiast oriented. People tend to choose between the two because of the difference in games available.

6. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

the only reason i've got a 360 (and a wii) over a ps3 is because of the price of a ps3 and how great xbox live is. if i could afford one, i'd have had all three for quite a while now.

if i had to pick someone to "win" this war, then it'd be the wii, just because it seems to be selling incredibly well consistantly. i'd like it to be the 360 though, just because... i don't know really. i just would, i guess.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Wii will most likely (99%) have the most sales at end of gen. I think they will be ahead by about 25 - 30 Million of second place. Before this gen started I never thought the Wii would do so good but as mentioned above it has created a totally new group of gamers.

Between the PS3 and 360 it pretty obvious (if you look at the sales) that the PS3 is catching up to the 360 by outselling (world wide) every single week this year. The only question is how long will that take? If the sales continue to improve and it starts outselling by a bigger rate it could happen as soon as Spring 2009. If it continues at this same rate or slows down a bit it may be until end of 2009 or spring 2010.

By the end of this gen I think PS3 will be ahead of 360 by 5 - 15 Million depending on how Microsoft handles the 360 (how long they sell it before making a new one)

For overall totals I dont think any system will get to 100 Million. I think the highest will be 80 - 90 Million.

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I don't think there is a war, they're all selling reasonably well to slightly different audiences.

9. koola

koola Minimodder

Wii is irrelevant :naughty:

I think the PS3 will outshine the Xbox 360 when the devs exploit all the PS3s potential. It's currently on par with the 360.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The PC...

11. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

QFT

I voted Wii though, as at heart i am a nintendo fanboy :D though i would like a ps3 sometime when gt5 comes out. and there are a few nippon ichi games to be played.

12. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Lol. Yet another Wii vs 360 vs PS3 thread. I do love these...

Well, atm, the Wii is the best seller, because its the sort of thing parents or grandparents buy for the kids at Christmas... Though I bought one for my own amusement...

In the powerhouse sector, the PS3 comes across as a marginally more capable machine, whereas the 360 has quite a fanbase, and exists in more living rooms. If we take the 360 as the 'enthusiasts console', as a gaming PC for those who can't be arsed to actually build a gaming PC, it does its job well. On the hardware front of things, the PS3 does almost exactly the same job, except it does it without a stupid buzzing noise, or RROD worries.

Failure rates aside, the 360 and PS3 are very similar machines, but made with different things in mind. As one of the fortunate few who has had the pleasure of experiencing both under my TV, I can make a few conclusions.

The 360
    Brilliant console. Loved playing GoW on it. Loved playing Halo 2 on it. I thought Call of Duty 3 was better on the 360. And I quite like the controller. I am used to the Playstation controller, but the 360 controller is ergonomically designed, and does its job well. There were shortfalls however. I purchased a month of xbox live, and while I had fun experimenting with it for a week, I could see no reason at all to have to pay the extra monthly fee. I also disliked the fact that every time I wanted to do something interesting with the console, I had to shell out an extra £30-50 to buy Wifi adapters and hard drives for my console. The noise was loud. I mean, Loud, and sort of reminiscent of first generation PS2's. And one day, after coming back from a comfort break, I was confronted with the infamous RROD. My 360 being beyond the manufacturers warranty period, and me not having a receipt for it (ebay), meant that I had an attractive £300 brick under my television. So the games went onto eBay, as did the accessories, as did the broken 360, which sold for £34.

Angry with the xbox, I tried the P$£... I mean PS3....
    This cost me a bit more, since I picked up a 60GB jobby, and when I took it home, I decided that I prefer the dashboard interface to the crossbar. I had COD3 for it, and I realised that the COD3 on the 360 was superior. I was disappointed. But yet, I kept my hopes up. I was a fan of the Playstation exclusive titles, and sure as daylight, right now, on pause, in almost silent glory under my TV, is MGS4!!! And I'm loving every second of it. And couple this with the games which are to be released in the near future, and I am very glad that I didn't sell my PS3 a few months ago. Also, as well as the gaming, the PS3 sits next to a stack of blu-ray movies, which I enjoy with family and friends... And the controller fits like a glove in my Playstation adapted paws.

And what have I learned from this? Well, I suppose the 360 was fun while it lasted, but if, say I didn't have a console right now, and wanted one, I'd go for the PS3. The 360 is a bit old-hat now, and very little has been released exclusively on the 360 since I last left off for me to want to go back to it. The PS3 however, is looking like a cost effective gaming/home entertainment solution, which I can even use online, without having to buy adapters, and paying subscription fees, and the games like MGS4 are worth every penny you spent extra on the console. So, it looks like Sony have a winner...

EDIT: As far as the future of gaming is concerned, the Wii seems limited by its capabilities. The 360 seems to have exhausted all its resources. Working as it is, it has reached the limit of disc capacity, and seems to displace 30 cubic feet of air a second running as it is currently configured. The PS3 however, sits like the new boy. If we liken the 360 to David Beckham, the glamourous and successful, but old and weary star, the PS3 is Cristiano Ronaldo. Excelling above the rest, and with a lot of untapped potential, with 50GB discs and that phenomenal Cell processor. I think developers will see this, and as a result, make more games for the PS3 than the other two.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2008
  13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Non of them, they are all as good as each other, it just depends what you want from your machine.

Sam

14. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

**ANALOGY ALERT**
    More football analogies:

If we take the consoles as football teams, for those familiar with the English Premiership, the Wii is the Spurs, who have had a very good season, and play to a high class, though can't quite hold it out against the big boys. The 360 is Chelsea. There is a big wealthy man at the top of it all, who has a lot of money, so they can buy into everything and wield a lot of power. They had their short stint at the top, and even in the most recent of leagues, they are duking it out with the best of them. They came second this season however, to that Manchester United of consoles, Sony's Playstation 3. An old name in the game, they too have a bit of money in hand, and are doing what they do best, to be the best. They occasionally fall, and for good reason, but you can be sure that the following season they'll be right back up there.

Though I'm a Manchester United supporter, I love the way the Spurs play - I always have - and I never miss their games, and deep down inside, I want them to do well...

**CHEESY ANALOGIES OVER***

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Nintento make a fortune on every Wii sold and the Wii is vastly outselling the 360 and PS3. If we're talking "successful" from a mere financial standpoint then the Wii has already annihilated the competition.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo's games division makes far more than MS and Sony's combined.

16. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

As yatzee has said, Nintendo have the nasty habit of flogging a dead horse too much.
    I donno paying £180 for a overclocked GC seems abit of a pisstake to me.
    I don;t really see Nintendo in the next 10-15 years in the running.

Sure they make shed loads of money on their console but in terms of quality titles both Sony and M$ have them beat.

17. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Since when has been shifting quality titles always the best tactic economically? There's a good reason why most games are mediocre movie tie-ins. :sigh:

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

your mum will win the console war.

19. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

would you consuider the Wii to be this generation?? i thought generation reffered to the spec not when the console was released? wouldnt this mean the wii is last gen??

nothing against the wii just wundering should it technically be classified as current gen

20. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

agree with this, define "win". doubt either console is goin anywhere