1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks why are the 8139s pap?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corvette, 4 Dec 2001.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

ok i have 3 computers all networked with realtek 8139 network cards now the computers are pretty much the same except for a few differances ne way i go through these forums and nething tha has to do with these network cards is all bad like there are slow they dont sumtimes pick up other computers and s*** like that

now what im gonna tell u if u dont already now this windows has a habbit in a network to slow the network down to the slowest computer ok say if u have a p4 1.4 and a p3 1000 ok the network will slow down to the p3 now in which case i wanna no if the ppl who say they are s*** have diff comps networked or all the same

now the easiest way to explain this is like if u have a ata 100 hdd primary disk and hook a ata 66 drive on the primary controller weather its a dvd or a burner or just a normal cd rom the ata 100 drive will slow down to the slower drive

now if some 1 here can tell me why the 8193s are s*** then i will buy more exspensive cards

can ya just watch ya langugae pls mate (naughty word in title ;))

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Re: why are the 8139s s***

:)

3. corvette

sorry for the bad words

now im sorry to tell u but what i said is infact the truth a ata 100 and a ata 66 an the same controler the faster drive will slow down to the slowest drive same with the networks and ram

now the reason why i no this is coz im getting my technition dagree and programin dagree and they taught us with it now if ne 1 has herd of pc user australia the i.t pro daren yates will tell u the same thing i siad so i dunno where u got ur info from but i got it all from i.t pros

im sorry if u disagree but i find if u research what i said and follow it up ull see im right and if u still not belieave me ill direct u to sum sites which will tell ya and confirm what i said

once again im sorry for useing forbiddin words

4. RTT

RTT #parp

you may well be right about the hdds, im ususllay wrong ;)

5. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Yep the man speaks the truth!
    True for the ram, however for networks it slows down to the slowest part of the network, not the slowest PC (as you said earlier with the p3 and p4 comparison). You could network a P4 and a P133, and the network speed would be the same for both providing they were both connected to the network at identical speeds (10 or 100mbit/s). The P133 would be slower for programs and so on, but the speed they connected to the network would be identical.

Think this is right....

:)

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Yeah, It is right... I have a P133 networked with a Celeron 1 GhZ and PIII 500. they all run @ 100Mbps. However, if you had a 10Mbps Card on the Network it would only slow the connection on that leg of the net and the route to the destination PC not the whole network. Trust me on that one It's what I do for a living...;) :D ;)

7. corvette

i stand corected bout the networks but i still think the 8139s are a good card i have never had troubles with them but still if i wanted to upgrade cards and stuff could ne 1 suggest sum good cards

8. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The 8139 are average to poor performers in the network world, it really depends what you want?
    If your just using them in a home network then they will do what you want, but if you want to run a server that has loads of connections you should look at something better such as some of the Intel cards. I have 8139's on 3 pcs going through an xDSL connection and they seem to work well. Although 8139s are 100mbps you would never get near that on a transfer, so really if your happy with them stick with them.
    For £7 a card you aint making a major mistake if you dont like them.
    You might want to read this http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/nictest.html

Last edited: 17 Dec 2001
  9. RTT

RTT #parp

3com, intel and netgear make kick ass NICs

Tags: