1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Why do Americans predominantly drive Automatics?

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 18 Jan 2006.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Is there a reason for the fact that most Americans drive cars with an automatic tranny and most people in the UK drive cars with a manual?

Never been able to see what the problem is with shifting gears myself, it makes driving far more fun.

2. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

It seems mostly to be that americans like the automatic change basically cause it makes driving easier and more enjoyable and relaxing.

And brits seem to enjoy the driving experience more instead of just getting to point A to B.

I know this is a very general and stereotypical view but it seems that Americans are very interested in the brutal torque and power of a car and speed and just like the extreme of anything, don't get me wrong of course they like circuit racing aswell.

The brits seem to like I said above enjoy the whole driving experience down to gear changing and having the feel of responses and everything and being able to control more of the car etc..

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think that's correct, but also remember that America is a bigger country, and there is a lot more driving to do. But even on long journey's I like changing gears, the car runs faster and it doesn't make a journey boring. I don't use both hands on the wheel, except for sharp corners, which means one of my arms doesn'nt get bored. :D

EDIT: Did someone just change my avatar again?

4. xen0morph

you can keep it in 5th pretty much all the time anyway once you're on the motorway.

5. MrWillyWonka

True, but I prefer country roads to admire the scenery. Have you tried driving through the peak district rather than the motorway? That is just a wow experience!

6. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Just remember to keep your eyes on the road :eek:

7. MrWillyWonka

I have two eyes... :worried:

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

could it be that they are lazy aswell???

also isnt there a problem with automatic gearboxes where they are more prone to breakdown than the ususal manual ones??

9. xen0morph

auto's are inherently more complicated and unreliable, yes.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Exactly what I was thinking... And on a side note, if you get into sippery terrain with an automatic, you are quite screwed ;)

But actually, American cars frustrate me... what's the use of having a 6500cc engine, with 750hp, to just drive down the motorway? That's just a waste of good gasoline... But then again, why bother with fuel efficiency, if a L (or gallon or whatever) of fuel costs 1/10 of it here? (Don't know the exact prices, but I've seen the prices here in Belgium go as high as 1,372€/L)

11. MrWillyWonka

Not to mention more expensive to fix.

12. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

I drive a sportstronic simply for the fact that growing up, most of the family cars were autos.

While I was searching for a new car, I was tempted to get a manual, I had a friend give me some practice time with his car. While I was able to do it alright, I didn't want to get a brand new car, simply to grind the clutch in short order.

The other reason was, convienence to a point. Most of my time (95%) is start/stop driving in the city.

That being said, now that I've gotten some mechanical experience under my belt, my next car will probably be a late 60s/early 70s mopar manual.

Not at all. I live in New England, are winters are pretty harsh and I've never had a problem with any vehicle I've driven, including box trucks, vans and cars with donuts on them ;)

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

My very limited experience of American roads is that they mostly are straight, long and boring. UK roads are bendy. Driving in the US seems to me to involve starting, stopping at lights, 90 degree turns and not much else. I'm sure that isn't the case everywhere but most of what I have seen was like that. Automatic would do very nicely in those conditions.

14. shotgunefx

Massachusetts is a bit different. Can't really speak for the rest of the country. We tend to have more rotaries and whatnot than the rest of the country. Though my neighborhood is one of the few that is built on a grid like New York city.

And with the damn Big Dig project, lanes shift, move and dissappear with alarming frequency.

15. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

its simple why most cars are autos. It makes drioving easier for everyone especialy (idiots that cant operate a manual trany) I personaly do like manual more though.

NYC is built like a grid for simple driving possibilities and directions being easy. Other roads tend to be long and strait. Our highway system is weird like that. Set your car on cruize control take your foot of the gass pedal and just steer. Makes blood circulation easier. When you have to think that it takes 5k miles or so to get cross country auto isnt so bad.

16. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

I'd say it's related to public transportation and commuting. We're probably in our cars more. Also, AFAIK, most driver training courses use automatics. So, unless you go out of your way to learn on a manual, you won't know how.

I learned on a manual, and have never driven an automatic as my primary vehicle. Although, I must admit, I'm tempted to to get one next time around. In slow traffic, manuals suck big time. Will depend on what I go with... Truck/SUV = automatic, better for towing. Sport(y|s) car = manual, more fun to drive. Not sure what I'll do if I go with a boring car... would probably depend on how far I commute.

17. quack

quack Minimodder

It's so the driver can hold a cup of coffee, or a beer bottle in one hand, and their "cell" phone in the other and not worry about having to change gear all the time!

18. shotgunefx

Not quite, but I did notice when I was learning to drive stick, that smoking was a bit inconvienent. :hehe:

19. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

I think it's funny only 3 yanks (besides myself) have responded.

Personally, when I've been to the dealer and looked around I'd say 98% of the cars were autos. I'm sure it's that way because that's what most people want. (Supply & demand) But if you want a manual then it's more than likely going to be ordered, not driven off the lot that day. Who wants to wait?

Are autos cheaper to make? Wait, guess not since they always cost $500+ than a manual. I'd drive one if the missus could; she's scared to death of them.

One note of interest: Someone said that their experience with US roads was that they are straight. I live in TX and the roads where I live are nothing but curves.

Second note of interest: Someone mentioned having 750hp just to drive down the road. I'd say about .5% or less of America has a car that puts that much hp to the ground. (That's a guess on the percentage.) I'd say most Americans drive a V6 (somewhere between 2-3L) with about 200-/+hp. I may be wrong on that as well.

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

thats probabaly the other main reason, from what i hear the standard of teaching for driving is a lot lower over there
    you hear these stories about people getting 2 lessons and the test consisting of driving around the block and as long as you dont kill anyone you pass :p
    over here you get a lot more teaching and for the most part you're taught in a manual in the first place

Tags: