1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why do so many people think Halo...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fingerbob69, 15 Jun 2010.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

... is a bad game?

I still get a kick out of the multiplayer on a regular basis.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, so many reasons:

1) Was supposed to be released first on the PC as a tactical squad game
    2) Massively overhyped
    3) Singleplayer was bland
    4) No Halo 3 on PC

I'm sure others will add to the list

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I followed the development of Halo for 2 years prior to the announcement that it would be a console release and I was gutted when I saw the massive strip-down of material that was done in order to reach release and "streamline" it. There were loads of more vehicles (compared to the latest releases) that were chopped, loads of weapons (3-barrelled gatling cannons, machetes etc) and whatnot as well as the environments scaled down.

The gameplay being linear is not really a problem, as with any linear game, it's fine if it's done well. It was hyped to death and the game was bland enough in my own opinion. They seem to be improving it, but it just seems that they are slowly reaching the quantity of material that was originally planned anyway.

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I loved the orignal Halo but really disliked the sequels. Halo 2 felt rushed and half finished (Bungie have since stated that half way though production they threw everything out and started over) and by the time Halo 3 was released I kinda outgrew the franchise. Hearing tweens high-pitched shouting doesn't really appeal to me.

But yeah, original Halo was amazing. The amount of hours I spent with my friends playing split-screen deathmatch is insane. I am the king of Hang'em High.

Might pick up Halo:Reach to see how the series has evolved, but I doubt it.

5. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I don't hate halo, its just really, really bland.

I've completed the first one (on pc) and got about 3/4 of the way through 3 on the xbox.

Its ok, everything works, and its quite well polished (with the exception of the friendly AI, which is woefully bad) but it doesn't really have anything that makes it fun, or different from any other sci-fi shooter i've played.

6. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

I regularly play drinking muliplayer Halo 3 with my housemates and it never gets old. Here are the rules we made.

Drink when:
    You get a kill
    You get assassinated
    You get Splattered
    You get sticky grenaded
    You died and thought it was an amazing kill e.g. rocket from other side of map
    Someone gets a killing spree
    drink once for every other player if its your killing spree
    down your drink if you get splattered while the driver is beeping the horn.
    Works best for 3-4 player local games. Definitely the drinking game of choice for us.

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

God damn low gravity jumping. I know it's to give time for consolites to turn, but seriously? Every other FPS manages without it.

Such an average game; the campaign's okay but the multiplayer is so BORING. As much as I hate MW2 for being such a piss poor attempt at a PC game, at least it was fun (for a while).

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I don't like the interface, but I liked the gameplay fine.

I never got the hang of dual thumbsticks. I played it exclusively at LAN parties at my friends' houses, and I got to the point of being decent at it, but I never was nearly as good at using the controller as I was with a keyboard and a mouse.

The last console FPS I truly enjoyed and was good at was Perfect Dark on N64. Not coincidentally, it was one of the last single thumbstick shooters, so your look and move were combined, and the levels did not have a lot of open vertical space so you didn't really need to look up and down usually.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I played a bit of Halo, and others summed it up well - its just bland and completely unremarkable. Considering the numbers of teenage boys raving about how good it was, it had so little personality and very little to keep you interested.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

surely the ones loosing should drink. ;)

i loved original (see my avatar). but the sequel sucked and that halo 3 never made it to PC put me off it. as soon as they started to milk the dead cow (dead since the one after halo 3's release), i started hating it.

i think the hate attitude is created by peers. it's similar to Mac users. when you get an ear full of how amazing an average product is, you began to pick bones in the egg and starts to hate it. a former bit-tech former Warrior came to mind.

Veles likes this.
  11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The idea is that the better player drinks and gets worse. I've played that before :) Great fun. Very quickly you level the playing field! :p

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

back in 2001 it was awesome. Nowadays however it's terribly slow and it requires no aim whatsoever since most guns just spray ****. With those that don't you don't need to aim, all you need to do is keep your crosshair at a certain height, strafe left and right and fire at the right moment. I could deal with the guns but the fact that it's an FPS game that is slower than a game of Risk puts me off big time.

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Halo: Reach totally redesigns the mechanics of multiplayer Ghys. Works very well with the loadout system now.

14. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Pretty much this. The first game was great back in it's day imo. Yeah it was pretty simple and linear but it was great fun, the levels were HUGE (I remember Two Betrayals taking nearly 2 hours on Legendary way back), the weapons were fun (plasma grenades on Ghosts and Banshee's as they zoom past Cheesecake) and multiplayer was pure deathmatch hilarity.

On Library, when the flood show up, the game kinda gets turned on it's head, tactics needed to change pretty massively to combat both threats simultaneously.

Halo 2 was pants though, and I dont plan on buying a 360 so i'll never know if H3 was any good...

15. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

If I remember it was originally designed to be a RTS title for Mac

This. Its not bad just overrated.

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Loved the original Halo, well the multiplayer at least, we played it over the LAN at college, was a great deal of fun, especialy when the Motor Vehicle students worked out how to play it, never seen my score so high :)

Thrasing the Game Dev students was always a laugh, hearing their shouts and groans from the other room. I miss those games.

Never played Halo 2, and have Halo 3 and am about 1/2 through and I cba to carry on, don't enjoyt the multiplayer really.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

no it wasnt, it was terrible. it was only good to those who had never played a proper FPS before and we've been going downhill since!

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Best (sort of recent) console FPS: Timesplitters. Take your pick over which one, I particularly enjoyed Future Perfect. Halo ain't got nuthin'.

19. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

It was terrible IN MY OPINION?

;)

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Not another one of these topics.

Is everyone going to make a thread on why everyone else thinks their favourite game is bad or vice versa.

:D :D :D