1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why Don't You Use Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DaHoboFest, 19 Aug 2004.

1. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

Jsut curious, if you don't use linux, why don't you use linux? What would make you use linux? Anything you would like to see on linux?

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Can't run Dreamweaver very stable on it. That's the only reason. If Macromedia would release Dreamweaver for Linux or it would be more stable using Wine or Crossover then I would switch in a heartbeat.

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i have nothing against linux, i just prefer to use an operating system like windows... It works, its safe when you take care of it, and it isnt a 2 day job trying to install an MSN client :) I also like all my games work in windows, it feels faster, i know it all very well, and i have never had any real problems with it. When i use dlinux for ashort while i wasnt too impressed, and tbh, its alot of extra work so i was needing to be very impressed for it to get my "chief OS" spot!

4. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

i have just installed and dont not what the *** to do or how to install anything noob at it

5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i would switch tomorrow if i could play all my games on it and get USB stuff working.

6. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

I do.. sometimes

I would all the time if I could get an identd running and get both of my monitors to work

hopefully when my suse pack comes, it'll allow me to do that

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

My server is pure Linux and the other pc is Linux/window and tbh thats no small task considering it's a lappy.

I haven't been to Windows in almost a month now if you would be so kinds as to not count that once or twice i went to windows to use skype as the linux vetion has issures with sound

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I've been bought up and taught at school and home to use windows since NT. I've used 95, 98, 2000, ME and XP, I know so much about Windows and so little about linux, I just won't be bothered to learn about linux. I may give it a go if its more stable than windows (My XP has only crashed once since Feb 2003!!) and if most of the programs are designed for linux.

The other thing is that over 90% of the computers on earth are windows, wouldnt transferring between linux and windows be more tricky than transferring between windows?

9. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

where did you get that statistic from, as imo that is bull****e....seriously...do you really think that many servers run winblows? hotmail/msn network is all run on linux/unix...go and figure!

the reason why i dont run linux on my main machine atm, is because all the work i have to do (and gaming :) ) cant be done on a linux machine....but my server is linux for sure...

10. MrWillyWonka

The figure, I got it from somewhere but I cant remember where, I've read that officially the figure is less than that, but if u count PIRATED versions of windows, which is very high in the middle east, the figure is higher than the official. - I think I saw that on BBC news website? not sure

11. felix the cat

i seriously doubt that figure, unless you are only counting workstations....what do you think runs on supercomputers?

12. MrWillyWonka

I know that supercomputers run on linux cos they are more stable, but if u think about it, most computers are workstations in homes and offices, servers only account for a small fraction of the total number of computers on earth today.

I just found that figure, so don't question me about it! :D

13. felix the cat

the whole thign about supercomputers is that they are thousands of computers put together...or cluster servers...

anyway, pointless arguement really, but what i was trying to say is dont believe everything that you read... :worried:

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

90% is about right, if not too low
    servers are a tiny minority of all computers

only reason i dont use linux is gaming

15. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

What distro do you have? In Fedora (maybe RH9) Kudzu should detect a second monitor and set it up for you.. :)

Where is that dang suse / novell pack anyway, I'm still waiting too.. :)

-scoob8000

16. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Windows may be arrogantly patronising, occasionally stubborn, stupid and bullheaded, but I still now how to use it far more than I know Linux. I use my computer primarily as a web platform for downloading, surfing and chatting on MSN, and also as a games machine - and from what I've heard of linux it isnt as games-friendly. Also, I use a lot of USB stuff which can also be hard to get running on linux, right? It's hard enough on windows with a couple of them...

17. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

runnin linux at the moment and iv got all my games workin, got most of my software workin and within 20min my comp no longer dies in the ass from virus infection, is far more stable and i get better gaming performance in UT 2k4 wif a 9800pro then me mate wif a x800, go figure that out

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think the answers are in the rather ironic response from curren linux users - 'Well, I managed to get USB/Games/Dual Monitors/etc working on my particular distro of Linux'

My Windows XP SP2 installation works fine too. I didnt need to compile anything to get it to work either. My wife can handle it fine, and my mum was sufficiently impressed to invest in it too. They dont need to compile anything either. Their version look just like mine too - it's quite comforting to have a standard installation.

What is more we are virus-free, for free too! No need to invest in expensive bloatware like Norton et al.

For me, XP is very useful. As a developer, being able to run Apaches & IIS on the same machine is very useful. I have ASP.NET, ASP, & PHP available too. I can develop in VB6 & .NET, and pretty much any other language I choose.

I could go on for ever...

That said, I'm not a Windows zealot. I know MS has its problems, and I know that Linux has it's advantages... but Linux is simply not mature enough for me, and not straight-forward enough people further down the technological food chain. My mum compiles shopping lists and nothing else. I can teach her 'safe hex' but doing some of the simplest things in Linux would just blow her mind.

I want to get in to Linux however, purely for professional reasons. And I think it will mature over time... and ironically the better it gets, the better Windows will become... And I think Windows will get cheaper too, just as plenty of people prefer to pay for Linux....

Just my £0.02.

Chris

19. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I had a brief foray into the world of Linux about 2 months ago. I installed SuSe and it was fine whilst it was working. But for some reason, the internet connection seemed to work in spurts - one minute on, one minute off kinda thing. I have absolutely no idea why, but it was incredibly infuriating. Added to that the MSN client that was way too simple for me, lack of NTFS support, didn't run my favourite games - it all became a bit too much.

The worst part is that it makes you feel like a complete n00b - I had absolutely no idea how the file systems worked, how to install programs, what mounting drives was etc. Perhaps if I hadn't been thrown in right at the deep end, I wouldn't be so anti-linux. But right now WinXP is a whole lot easier and powerful :)

20. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

i dont no how to get and stuff to install on linux

Tags: