1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wifi routers - ASRock G10 or AP or something else?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goatee, 9 Jul 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Hey you wonderful people,

The Wifi I currently get from my SKY Q router isn't great and I have some patchy reception in some upstairs areas of the house (along with the garden). Currently the router is next to the front door, next to the BT master box.

One option might be to get a wireless access point but I'm also looking at a ASRock G10:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0162LP...N=B0162LPDWA&linkCode=df0&smid=A2OGS226IUESAL

Is the G10 much better than an AP, as I'm just looking for improved wifi signal elsewhere in the house? My current setup is:

BT Master Box => SKY Q box (modem/router)
    Sky Q box => Switch

Switch => Gaming PC
    Switch => NAS
    Switch => Workshop
    Switch => CCTV Camera 1 via POE
    Switch => CCTV Camera 2 via POE
    Switch => CCTV Camera 3 via POE

My switch is one of these NETGEAR GS110TP (donated by a forum member) which is running my wired internet (and POE) requirements.

Thoughts?

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

No-one?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The best option is either:
    A - have a good router in the middle of the house
    B - have a wired access point at other end of the house

Getting a new router to improve wifi can be hit or miss.

Goatee likes this.
  4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

This.

The issue isn't usually the router getting wifi to everywhere in the house, it's the inability of devices to transmit back to it.
    A high power router may be able to send signal all over the house and garden but there's no way a laptop or phone can transmit back to it.

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Good feedback, so I guess that a wired access point at the back of the house is the best bet. I already have a Cat6 cable in the loft, I can route it to the back of the house for use with an AP.

Given I already have a Netgear switch, is there any benefit in one brand for all the networking gear, otherwise I thinking a Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE.

Open to suggestions / feedback.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

A UAP-AC-Lite would be more than fine for that.
    No benefit on brand loyalty until you start getting in to fully managed switches etc where it then gives you a single pane of glass view.

Goatee likes this.
  7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

The Ubiquiti kit is really good, but check your switch does PoE or you'll need a PoE injector to power it.
    You'll also need to run a controller for it, which can either be a hardware one https://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-unifi-controller-hybrid-cloud-key-p-6692.html
    Or you can run a VM/Container etc. to run a software version.

I run a Ubiquiti US-8-60W PoE switch just as it's simpler to manage everything from a single solution, and it worked quite well for my needs.

Update: looks like you can manage a single device using an app on your phone (not tried it):
    https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012360487

Last edited: 21 Jul 2020
    Goatee likes this.
  8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Thats really good info, thank you.

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Linus did a video where he sent wifi hallway down his Cul-de-sac where he got 100m away.

10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

No worries, I've not setup much on mine as I'm transitioning off of a Netgear Orbi system, but shout if you have any questions and can check out things on the controller etc.