1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Will 6mm plexi hold on this kind of weight?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Allen, 17 Jan 2004.

1. Allen

Allen What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

I'm thinkin of buildin' my own acrylic case, and so I'm wondering if a 6mm plexi will hold on weight of about 3 - 5kg. I'm talkin about bottom of case.
    Or I should think about wider plexi, smth like 12-15mm or even wider?.
    About the sides of case, I think I will use a 4mm plexi or so, to get the main construction stable and to be ready for future modifications...

What do You think about that? Wider or not?

I don't want it to get bended :(

Thx for reply :)

2. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Hi Allen

Welcome to the boards!

Have you thought how you will join the sides to the bottom?

I would say that 6mm will be thick enough for the bottom. What dimensions are you thinking of for the rest of the case? Thicker plexi will make it more stable. Have a look at a shop bought case and see what thickness they use (or I'm sure there's an article in the article section that would help)

Good luck

Meblin

3. Sportbilly

Sportbilly What's a Dremel?

It really depends on what support you give it...

If the feet are in line with the vertical side and front pieces, they'll be taking the load directly, thus you won't have any weight where the bottom isn't supported, hopefully resulting in no bend. Other factors will come into it I'm sure, you'll just have to play around with it.

How it's joined to the side pieces as Meblin said is also a factor, but I'm assuming you'll have to have a removeable side panel. Give us more details on how it's going to be put together, maybe we can give you a verdict.

4. coorz

coorz Miffed

My Beantech plexi case is made of 6mm, only the frontpanel is 8mm thick.

5. Allen

Allen What's a Dremel?

Thx for welcome :) I really appreciate that.

More info, ok, so:

Dimentions:
    My case is going to have standard dimentions Ithink with one exception I will make it a bit higher, than the standard cases. I think about 10cm more, maybe 15cm. That will be just fine, not more i hope, 'couse if so it wouldn't fit in my desk :) It's becouse I'm going to hide inside some 'stuff', without addictional centimetres i wouldn't manage to do so, my mainboard with GPU, Sound card and drives would disturb.

Joining the bottom sides:
    If the bottom plexi will be about 2cm or 5cm than i think i would join it with some screws, 4,8 i don't know yet it depends on idea, which I hope I will receive in my mind :confused: I think 2cm will be some kind of minimum, what do You think about it?

If it would be less than 2cm? Well I don't know, any kind of glue isn't seems to be good idea for it...
    About the article, Yes I've searched bit-Tech articles and of course forums :), they were very helpfull, especially the article 'Planning Your Acrylic Case' by linear. Thx man for this art. :)

Oh, I'd forget about one important think, I think about adding thin but wide feet under the case into the bottom part. I think that getting them into that 5cm plexi would be a great idea. They wil be just 5mm sticking out of the bottom plexi I think. No more, becouse of the desk :/
    So will this work fine? I hope it will... what do You think?

Removeable side panel:
    Well as I plan it won't be removeable, but it's going to be opened 'somehow', I don't want to tell the secret right now... I can only say that I will be opening it horizontally.
    The rest of the case, well i think it will be having standard dimentions and appearance, which i'm going to change a bit. Pexi at the sides, top and back will be having 5-6mm.

Hi coorz, 8mm frontpanel would be also good for me I think. I was going to take 6mm into front, but after your posting i changed my mind, Thx a lot. Why i changed my mind? Mostly becouse of screws i'm going to screw in it.