1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Will current P67 motherboards be compatible with Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Turbotab, 9 Jan 2011.

1. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

My Q6700 bit me last night so it has to go:), okay I just feel the pull of the green-eyed monster.

Looking on ebay etc, there still seems to demand for my kit, at least enough to cover the cost of SB i5-2500K. I would be selling the following:

Q6700
    Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R
    4GB Corsair DDR2 1066MHz

My big question is, will Ivy Bridge be compatible with current P67 motherboards? I assume it may be, because both SB & IB will be LGA 1155 sockets, and most X58 boards could take a 32nm Gulftown with a BIOS flash.

It is not a deal breaker, but a clear upgrade path would certainly be the icing on the cake.

Cheers

Last edited: 9 Jan 2011
  2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

If you believe wikipedia ivy bridge will be LGA1155 compatible. There will probably be a different chipset though.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LGA1155 is meant to have a 3 year lifespan, but like Dae said, if you need a new chipset is another question.

4. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Given Bindi's previous comments on the future of "the upgrade path", I would imagine the answer is probably not. Especially not the launch stuff.

But hey, maybe Intel will consider it's consumers this time :D

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Intel and there concern for consumers

chances are slim

6. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

As I thought Intel will probably screw the pooch in terms of upgrading, especially as P55 owners have been left in the cold.

Hope Bulldozer gives Intel something to think about:grr:

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Ivy Bridge is just a die-shrink of Sandy Bridge, but with DX11 graphics (including a fix for true 23.976fps video in its video decoding pipelines). It's highly unlikely that Intel would pull a socket switcheroo in less than a year.

Do bear in mind they changed the microarchitecture of SB from Nehalem, so they do have a semi-defendable excuse for the socket change.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

It's not just about the socket though. It's the whole board. I doubt a 32nm i3 would fit in the launch day P55 boards....

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'd rather like to buy your RAM if you decide to sell...