1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding [Will Pay] Looking to get a LCD temp display

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mat0tam, 3 Jan 2012.

1. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

After a small LCD display to show about 4 Temperatures, If anyone could make one or knows of where to get one I would love a heads up.

I have standard temp sensors them selves from a 5.25 HDD bay but unfortunately the bay was a pain so Its in its box now, If someone could wire up a LCD module I would pay them :)

Any ideas?

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  2. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Arduino with an LCD shield and some simple programming (arduinos are overused IMO, but still very useful and simpler than many of the alternatives)

3. mat0tam

Ah ok, well ive heard a fair few people use arduino for something like this but honestly electricals are not my place I wouldnt know where to start.

4. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

I had a member make mine. It is able to display 12 sensor points. Want his info? PM me.

5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

could you not use a vfd? and software?

6. mat0tam

A "variable-frequency drive" Im sorry but my electrical knowledge just took a slap to the face, care to elaborate?

7. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

I got a little usb module for a hd44780 lcd (up to 4x40 lines) from a ebay seller, look for lcdmodkit1.
    you can get the module on its own and a separate screen from somewhere else or a pack.
    You just need to solder the connector on the screen to the actuall lcd. Most of its lcd should be compatible.
    Install the drivers, then you can get lcdsmartie to run it.
    The last thing to do is to configure lcdsmartie with some plugins to display your desired temperature.
    Mind you some temperature are available without external softwares, as in from lcdsmartie directly.
    Speedfan is one option, it will give most common temps (CPU, System, Fan speeds, HDDs...).
    I found Aida64 was the only one to provide all temps in one place and that has a compatible lcdsmartie plugin.
    Let me know if you need more info.

8. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

sounds like you´re looking for an i-mon?

9. mat0tam

Hi Rak :) thanks for the advise, checked out Lcdmodkit before and what stumped me was the price for their items so forinstance I like this http://www.lcdmodkit.com/lcd/U204MW-B1.html which is the USB and approx £20, but do I need a module as well? like the USB 2 Row module? http://www.lcdmodkit.com/module/BPU204A-1.html

Which is 150HK so an additional £12? so for £32 I could make it work, but could probably buy one for that much and not risk and wiring issues from foreign parts (Past experience)

Any Advice?

10. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

just search for usb vfd screen in ebay and world is your oyster! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/PC-Components-/3667/i.html?_nkw=usb+lcd&_catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

i have one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-HD447...ting_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item4ab23a482d

11. mat0tam

12. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

I just got that: Red on black 20x4 line USB Lcd
    I'm very happy with it, not too expensive, and it will look pretty nice in my next red and silver build! The Usb module comes pre-wired, so you just have to plug it in to any of your USB headers on the mobo, or you can use a mini-usb cable. Another cool thing is that you can either mount it in a CD bay but as it turns out, the spacing of the mounting hole is exactly the same as the spacing between pci plate screws! it looks good!
    Before this one, I used to have a 2x24 hd44780 and it was mounted the same way.
    here's pics of both: Picasa albums LCD screens

I can send you the 2x24 if you're interested, PM me!

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012