Cooling Will these barbs fit this res?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulW, 20 Aug 2004.

1. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Just recieved this res from h2o-computer in germany...

[​IMG]
    Cape Coolplex 25 extern
    Material: Röhm-plexiglas
    Size: 28,0(H) x 5,0(D)cm (cylinder)
    Content: 350 ml max.
    Plugs: 2x 1/4" and one 1/8" for an illumination device

Now as the 2 plugs are 1/4", and there not tapered, will these 1/4" . 1/2" fittings from coolercases fit??

[​IMG]

there parallel thread so I can't see any problem :boggle:

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I have one of these, iirc its 1/4"BSPP (as you imply). Mine came with all the fittings i wanted so im not entirely sure.

3. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

aslong as its 1/4" BSPP then I'm happy - is just I have no way of checking here :(

I got the 10mm compression joints, but my system is going to be 1/2" so need other barbs!

4. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

damn I can't order them as when I click buy, the cost is 0 in the cart even tho I add 2 items, it wont charge me... :(

Paul... :worried:

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I'm about 90% confident that i do remember correctly but to check it Pug will definately know. you can mail him on sales @ wizd.co.uk or post a thread on his forums

6. Risky

Risky Modder

Most of the german kit seems to be BSPP as far as I can see. A give away is that all the fittings sold in w/c shops there are only in BSPP as far as I can tell.

7. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Use these, they are the ones i use to convert Tank-O-Matics and other German made stuff with 1/4" BSPP..........pre wound with PTFE (just for you) :D :thumb:

Nice res BTW....you got any more pictures??? and you thought on build quality etc???

8. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm surprised. I've neevr seen a german store selling taper fittings.

CM - For reference what other products do you know that require taper barbs?

9. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Umm, they'll fit... but they might leak unless supplied with a sealing washer or O ring... :worried:

[​IMG]
    ^^^ These are the ones that I personally supply for those reservoirs.
    You'll notice they have a pre-machined retention groove for a captive O-ring (also supplied).
    The ones you have there won't take an ordinary O-ring, it'll just squish out *
    * (I learnt this after sending a pair to the US with a twin HDD cooler - sorry starbuck3733t. Hope your drives are okay now... :blush: )

For reference (and I'm going to add this rule of thumb to my sig if I have to type it once more)

PTFE, Teflon or fluoropolymer precoating or tape is used on Taper threads
    "O" rings are used with parallel threads.

coolmiester - taper fitting into a parallel thread? Isn't that a bit like recommending a self tapping screw in place of a bolt? :confused:

A few O ring options for you -

• Deformable (ie. rubber) - these require a captive retention groove. You don't have one on either the male or female side, so that's out.
    • Bonded Seal - (reading from my product spec sheets here...) "to use these effectively, it is necessary to spot face around the female thread to provide a sealing "land". The diameter should be 0.3mm to 0.5mm greater than the external diameter of the seal. The surface finish of the thread should not exceed 12µ
      Erm, can you work to those tolerances? I'll pass...
    • Captive sealing washer - has a minimum torque that I'd not be willing to recommend for Alu threads without further investigation.
    • Bi-material captive sealing washer - abichromated zinc-plated steel nitrile O ring. Theoretically, I can't think of much wrong with this choice but would want to do further research before I offered it to a customer. :worried:

Hope it helps.

10. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

:D :rock: I didn't think they would fit it :wallbash: I'm dumb!

I'll get some more pics of the res later on, build quality seems pretty good, I especially like the clear cap for filling them.

Going to try get some more done now, I want to 'try' get leak testing later on today/tomorrow if possible, but I still need to finish my shrouds & paint the case :duh:

11. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

I wrote this Barb Sizes Explained article a little while ago which might be of some use to some folk.

Criticool Reservoirs
    Danger Den Reservoirs
    Previous Danger Den Blocks
    Thermochill Blocks
    Thermochill Radiators
    Black Ice Radiators (not all)
    C-Systems
    Cathers Cascade
    Our Manifolds

Danger Den are now using Hi-Flow Parellel thread in all their new blocks now
    [​IMG]

Doesn't harm though!

I'm having custom chrome ones (same as above DD Hi-Flow ones) turned in 1/4" BSPP for the new AquaTubes and Fass-O-Matics and Tank-O-Matics, and also 3/8" BSPP :thumb:

Tags: