1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Will this Ram Work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javaman, 1 Jun 2017.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at the possibility of using TOOGOO DDR2 Ram in this Motherboard (ASRock G31M-S)
    the description of the Ram says that it's for AMD PC's. I assume it "confirmed working" on AMD build but I donno any reason it wouldn't work on an Intel build.

Has anyone any thoughts?

2. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It appears to be standard DDR2 RAM that would work anywhere that accepts DDR2 - I can't see why it is AMD-specific. So yes it should work with that mobo.

However, looking at the Amazon reviews, it doesn't look like great RAM and might be a false economy.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Most likely not. 4GB sticks were extremely hit and miss, even on high-end motherboards.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Short answer:

No, it won't work.

Long answer:

Going by information from JEDEC (the guys who come up with the standards for RAM):
    There is however an entirely different concern:

Unfortunately the Intel G31 Chipset is limited to only allowing 4GB DDR2 in total.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-e7200-g31,2039-3.html

Intel Data sheet:
    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/317495.pdf

So long answer, while the RAM itself isn't artificially restricted to only work with AMD chipsets (as that would violate the DDR2 standard as defined by JEDEC) there are Intel chipsets it can't work with due to it being high density, unfortunately the chipset on your mainboard can't cope with it.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2017
    javaman likes this.
  5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cheers Everyone.

Nice catch Anfield. I misread the spec as 4GB total per stick and thanks for the explanation.

Yea the review made me hold back rather than just going for it. Since it was one review I was considering risking it.

Thanks everyone for the responses!