1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 7, desktop freezes but programs still function.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ry@n, 17 Nov 2009.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

The computer starts up fine but after about 10-15 seconds the task bar locks up, the clock freezes etc and the cursor changes to the blue swirling circle. However if im quick enough to load up the programs I want then the computer will function fine running those programs but anything to do with Windows is just frozen. If I want to load a new program I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL and log off then back on again for another 10 second mad dash to open what I want lol. The computer runs fine in safe mode without freezing, I have tried rolling back the system restore to various points before the problem occured with no luck.

I also tried closing explorer via task manager as soon as it boots but it still froze, I have disabled all programs on start up which didn't help either, any ideas? I don't really fancy a fresh install tbh.

Cheers :thumb:

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Have you checked the event log for anything explorer-related that looks troublesome?