1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Win Home Server 2011 Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TaRkA DaHl, 25 Jan 2013.

1. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

I've just installed win 2011 on my server (64gb SSD) using this to get around the 160gb limit and it worked fine. Just remember to select the correct SATA controller in your BIOS before you install win 2011 as I didn't know this and my BIOS selected IDE for the SSD drive. Seeing as I wanted to run RAID or AHCI I now have to reinstall win 2011 all over again as it won't boot. :wallbash:

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Well, small update for anyone interested.

Server is up and running, draws about 35W on idle and 55W when all hard drives are spun up (3x2Tb data and 1x60Gb SSD).

WHS2011 is a breeze to use and setup, the best thing is the data transfer speeds now. It is sustaining 120MB/sec when writing large files to a single drive over my network, this is whilst streaming a movie from another drive, and with a USB webcam acting as a security camera recording to another.

I would use Lights Out however its another £15 to buy, so may have to wait before getting that. I have Serviio up and running so I can stream using DLNA to any devices I need to, iSpy is doing webcam recording, AirPlayit is transcoding media to Apple devices, Karen's Replicator is doing weekly incremental backups to USB devices, Home Server Smart 2013 is monitoring the drives and giving me pop ups on all PC's in the networks regarding temperature alerts or SMART errors.

Overall pretty pleased.

Just need to figure out a free way of transcoding a mix of avi/mp3/mkv files so they can be played remotely over a 3g connection and need to try and drop the power consumption of the PC down a little more, as its a bit high for my liking.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ :hip:

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Lights out is free - you only have to pay if you want the 'community edition' I think it's called. I used the free version for aaaages until I decided that I wanted it to monitor clients without the windows connector software installed.

5. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

From what I can see that is just a video converter, I'm looking for on the fly remote transcoding and sending over the internet and down a 3g connection with 1 button click lol. I'm not that fussy, honest!

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Must have got the wrong version or something, sure it said it was a trial and I only had 30 days or so to register it and pay will re-investigate.