1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 licensing and practicalities

Discussion in 'Software' started by okenobi, 25 May 2012.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I've ordered a bunch of new components which will be arriving today. My retail copy of Win 7 Pro is currently installed on my existing machine, which my young sister has been using whilst I've been overseas for the past year.

I want that copy for my new machine, and I've ordered an OEM x64 Home Premium for that machine to continue functioning. However, she's in the middle of A-level exams at the moment, so I need to keep disruption to a minimum. Can I install my retail copy on my new machine without removing it from my existing one? Just until next week when she finishes her exams, at which point I'll do a clean format...

Will it work?

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I expect the other will de-activate.

Mind you, you get 30 days to activate a new install so as long as you don't let it activate you might be okay.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Install Win 7 Pro on new machine.
    Don't put in the license Key.
    You then have 30 days to put the key in, so you can uninstall from the other machine next week.

You should however have purchased retail Home Premium as it's not a new build (however you could give it a clean & say you refurbished it to stay legal)

4. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Well technically, I'm cannibalising the old PC to make a new one, so it is a new build, just using some existing components.

Thanks for the help guys :)