1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 RC to shut down bihourly from March

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Quite. I don't understand what the fuss is about, either. Microsoft are actually being quite generous in terms of allowing the test builds to continue functioning after release of the full OS. And 'two hour shutdown' gives a window of opportunity to get data off safely before a reinstall... even if you've ignored the functioning deadline warnings.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Please. The Inquirer? THEY don't even take themselves seriously. It's like The Onion, but without humour.

4. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Let's talk about why ms is doint all this...

Vista is a pretty good OS
    Windows 7 is a pretty good OS (Hey it shares more than a few similarities with vista!)

Vista got a real bad rap, so many people cried "Rubbish!"

So give away 7, all the people who cried "Rubbish!" rush out and blag their "freebie". They get the same warm glow they get from a well found torrent but it's all legal!

And then you have people using 7, they realise it kind of just works OK if you don't have anything odd and incompatible (Exactly like 95, 98 ,XP & Vista before it behaved)

Am I using 7? No, vista pro + ultimate do me fine for now (But I do have it on a VM and would you believe it? It works fine!)

Will I upgrade? If it's in release state when I next to a rebuild probably yes.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I didn't even know there was a fuss about it. It was very clearly displayed on the main Microsoft Windows 7 download page, so I automatically assumed everyone knew about it.

Not reading the small print before you download and install pre-release software on you system is asking for trouble in my view. Luckily, this time it's not a big deal.

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Vista IS rubbish.. At least my Ultimate 64. Not even a proper driver for the scanner!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I thought everyone knew about that too.

Tbh they've been incredibly generous on this one, people have nearly a year to use the new OS for free.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, I hadn't even realised anyone was complaining about the RC.

Oh, no, it's one person on the Inq. Hardly "a fuss".

I think anyone worth their salt appreciates the actually genuine decent package Microsoft is offering. Yes it's for PR purposes and for godwill gestures to get the IT market back on their side, but when it's a genuinely good offering, why not run with it?

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

One question. Will we be able to upgrade from Beta or RC to Final without having to format?

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Man, that Inquirer author has an attitude problem.

Also, I didn't know that this was "news" - MS discloses the time-limitations of the RC on or before the download page.

Gosh, now I'm pissed off at that guy's entitlement issues.

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious too...

12. lona

lona What's a Dremel?

So will be 7!

Your scanner support is rubbish, not Vista.

13. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Stupidity has no limits.

14. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

how is that microsofts fault

15. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Eagle eyed? It said it as you clicked download on the RC...

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You can update from Beta to RC but you have to manipulate one text file on the installation disc before you can do it. I don't remember the details but I'm sure Dr. Google can help you there. :thumb:

And yes, MS clearly said that this'll happen on their download page PLUS that is pretty similar to what Vista's RC did. So I really don't get it why that idiot at the Inquirer is bitching about it.
    Oh, and by the way:

IT IS FREE SO STOP MOANING!!!

17. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

the shutdown will remind the average joe next year that "hey you are using beta software, come and get the real deal now" lol, seriously its a right thing to do for MS's part, even though a large percentage of computers run windows, a large percentage of that "large percentage" are really just everyday average joe users who quite often opens that "Medication" email. so its a nice touch for MS to remind that large percentage lol

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

The Inquirer is bad site , thay report crap

19. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The length of availability of the release candidate is impressive, i just hope that the upgrade prices for the final release are a lot more palatable than the Vista retail versions were...

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Rights? What rights? What's the problem? Who said you have the right to use Windows 7 for free forever?

You get to try an OS for free for a whole YEAR, and this from MICROSOFT. And someone still complains? What's with people these days? WHAT THE HELL!

Tags: Add Tags