1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 updates no longer available?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Behemoth, 19 Mar 2016.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Having just put an SSD in my Laptop and 8 gig of RAM, which is a marked improvement over the old mech drive that was in there and only 4 gig of RAM before, I've done a clean fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, and I seem to be not getting any updates at all.

I've run the app in built to windows and its been running for the last hour now and hasn't updated or done anything ?

Is there any other way I can download these updates without the need to use the automatic system ?

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Trusted Installer (the process behind updating) is horrid when there are a large amount of updates to find and run. It can take hours to find anything from a fresh install and will likely lock up if you run anything over 100 updates (We have a script at work that limits it to 50 updates at a time and cycles through checks/installs until it's done).

The best thing to do is 'check for updates' then wait. Did this last week on a work laptop and it was the next day before it reported any updates as available -about 250 of them. Then, rather than choosing to install the updates, shutdown the laptop so that it installs them as it shuts down. Trusted Installer shouldn't lock up this way as it takes all the memory it can get.

3. Behemoth

Ahhh they do seem to be filtering in now, just had 20 install. Expecting a 180 odd more lol

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

5. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

windows 7, the new windows xp.

6. Behemoth

All sorted now, it seemed that installing IE 11, even though I shall never use it kicked in all the other updates.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

thts rather odd. Ill keep that trick in mind for future lol

8. Behemoth

Once I got one update, the rest seemed to follow, like buses, you don't seen one for ages then 3 come at once !