1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8.1 Update 1 to introduce shutdown button

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 Jan 2014.

1. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

I'm sorry, but I'm with siliconfanatic on this one.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Dude,

[​IMG]

Where we argue about trivial ****. :)

3. atlas

atlas New Member

It's about time doesn't even begin to describe it. Lack of shutdown button is the first thing I noticed the first time I ran the beta of windows 8. Had to actually google how to shutdown (without using alt F4 shortcut) because I couldn't believe the charms menu was the way MS intended. Seriously you would think MS has loads of smart people but the fact that someone didn't sort this out earlier seems to indicate otherwise.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

there has never ever been a lack of a shutdown button on windows 8/8.1, it was just in a different place. I forced windows 8 on my wife, and she quite happily uses it without problems, if she doesn't know how to do something she asks.

windows 8 /8.1 isn't broken it is just different, its a perfectly good operating system, stop bitching about it, if you don't like it, install something you do like, I have some windows 3.11 floppies laying around somewhere. ;-)

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Windows key + i > shutdown.

Rather have them to fix the erratic 'go to sleep when idle' sleep behavior since 8.1 release.

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Well-Known Member

Yeah, the broken sleep behaviour is my biggest annoyance with 8.1. Worked fine before updating, but now is very hit and miss.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

ctrl+alt+del + a whole lot of tabbing.

I'll be honest, power user I am, but it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to turn off my computer when I first installed Windows 8.

I always map my power button to sleep mode. Since it is a desktop, I don't think knocking over my monitor is going to do a whole lot.

Sure, on a laptop, shutting the lid for sleep and taping the power button for off is fine. Not so much on a desktop, which is what a lot of people still use. It bothers me little now after the adjustment.

It STILL bothers the bejesus out of me that there is no traditional application launcher/program view within the "start" menu on the desktop in 8.1 though. WHY OH WHY MICROSOFT!

On my T100 it bothers me not so much, because I am going through the "windows interface/metro" and touch interface a lot of the time anyway. On my desktop I avoid it like the plague unless I HAVE to. On my laptop (with no touch panel), pretty much the same.

RDP to my sever (which only has 8 on it) is a pain in my left nut. RDP to 7 is easy, want to run an app, just click the start menu, all programs, select what you want. Now under 8+ you have to call up the RDP options (I am speaking specifically of the metro RDP app, I don't recall off the top of my head how to get to the start screen through the desktop app), then select start and then go to the all app view (supposing it isn't pinned to the start screen). It isn't much extra in the way of selections, but it DOES take longer, is more jarring (because you are transfering UIs) and so on.

Its frankly a crap work flow and bad user centered design.

So, yeah, I hope at some point MS wises up and adds in some kind of application launcher functionality in to the desktop start menu again.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if its just 8 on the remote machine, you press the windows key on your keyboard - simples

9. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Win + X then U then U. Bob, uncle, etc. Use WinX U then S for sleep. Takes three seconds at most.

10. matee

matee Member

I had to google how to shut down Windows 8 after installing it.. so yeah happy to see a button.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Or you can just press the power button on your PC, likes.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Oh my god yes I wish they would fix the sleep problem... or more specifically the problem that once you RDP into a machine srvnet get stuck like its connected even after disconnect and won't let sleep happen EVER unless you reboot.

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I still have a brand new copy of NT 200 , never been taken out of the packaging

And I never did resolve the problems I had with the 8.1 upgrade, so I still think it's a pile of crap !!

14. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

This is true, very very true.:rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags