1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 9 'Threshold' release date April 2015

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 13 Jan 2014.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's crazy talk! :p

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Isn't it just! Windows OS was definitely at it's peak in 98 / early 2000's. Why the hell would MS change the OS to work in tablets, hybrid laptops and PCs? Why on earth would anyone want an OS that works well on all of those?!

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Thats not really modding, its installing software. In the same way painting a room doesn't change the room, just puts a purdy colour on top. If people were free to actually mod windows you bet yer ass the shell would be ripped out and replaced with something else.

Anyway what "mods" have you done to windows 8?

4. Nexxo

So you're saying that people can't cope with installing some software?

And you can rip the shell out and replace it with something else. I've done it. I haven't done anything to Windows 8 yet; I quite like it the way it is.

5. theshadow2001

No that seems to be what your saying. I'm just saying installing software isn't modding.

6. Nexxo

Pedantry? On Bit-Tech?!? Surely not?!? :p

7. longweight

Wouldn't installing software be modifying the OS?

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Er, it's not hardware modding, sure, but it is software modding, is it not?

Also, Nexxo's post #59 sums it up for me. People have been tinkering with both hardware and software to get things working the way that they like since home computers first started, but now some folks are moaning because Win8 didn't ship with a Start button? If only there was some way of obtaining a third party utility to provide that functionality for those that want it... :D

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Not really. The lack of a StartMenu option is just the most discussed problem of W8.
    We are talking about a OS that blended poorly two UIs. That made the primary UI be the touch-first one. That lacked the ability to run apps in resizable windows. That provided two different background images for the two main screens of the UIs. That booted directly to the least used app launch screen. That provided a lack of general search results. That used all of the screen for the most basic tasks. That introduced obscure and intrusive hot-corners. That added a second incomplete Control Panel. ... (pretty sure I am forgetting some of the problems)

That many of the defenders of W8 resume all to the lack of a StartButton (and not StartMenu) says much.

Apart from the "under-the-hood" improvements made to W8, what the user perceives as improvements are the Task and File managers. They just dont justify the hassle of moving from W7 to W8 (and I bought a W8 copy).

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I agree there needs to be some sort of either distinct separation or cloned settings in Modern setting and control panel in W9. Though I've not looked too closely since 8.1 so maybe it's improved.

I've never found W8 to be disadvantaged by using a M+K over touch. Charm bars? Not that different to autohide menus imo. Never found hot corners to be obscure, there are 4 of them, not 100. Intrusive - on occasion I've activated the top right but not made it become active/go dark, maybe I just have l33t mouse skills from all the Battlefield I play.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm not sure how hot corners can be both obscure and intrusive :D At the end of the day, though, if you don't like 8, go back to using 7 until support for that is withdrawn. By that time 9 will be out and will have introduced a whole load of extra issues that will make 8 look fabulous in comparison :D

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

We will be on Windows 10 or 11 by the time extended support for 7 comes to an end, and rumors say Windows 10/11 is going to be a cloud based (Azure) operating system.

13. Nexxo

Naah, Windows 10/11 will be an artificially intelligent peronality who sounds like Scarlett Johansson, installed on a cranially implanted direct neural interface chip that is powered by ordinary body heat. You will have a telepathic interface with a HUD overlay on your visual cortex, direct 24/7 uplink to the internet and full Virtual Reality simulation. Her knowledge base and processing abilities will seamlessly interface with yours, so that you become a hyper-intelligent, all-knowing meta-human.

People will complain that it does not have a Start Menu.

14. theshadow2001

OOOOH!!! BURN!!!

Anyway you want to mod an OS get thee to openBSD linux or some such

15. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I still don't understand the Start Menu thing. I don't understand why people miss it, or even which version they miss.

From 95 to XP it was an alphabet-defying, screen filling monstrosity, and in Vista and 7 it was the same thing crammed into a tiny corner of the screen so you couldn't see what you were doing.

Everyone I ever saw using Windows used many desktop shortcuts, or put them in the quick-launch bar, or pinned things to the start bar or the top section of the start menu.

So Microsoft sees this and designs an OS where the start menu has become a second desktop layer to pin all of your apps to, instantly summonable using the Windows key and highly customisable. You can still pin stuff to the desktop or the start bar as before, if you wish, and the search function has been expanded greatly, making it much more powerful and flexible...

... and everyone hates it.

:/

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You would have a point if it was just about the start menu, or lack thereof.

17. longweight

So what else is it about? Hot corners?

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

19. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

D@amn nexxo, I don't think I have ever seen you shout before. This side of you scares me :lol:

I honestly must agree, if you don't like it, feel free to voice your opinion. But don't whine, and in the meantime adapt, or do what we all do best, mod the living crap out of it.

Personally just getting the hang of rainmeter and loving every second of it. Hence, for now I see no reason to move to win8... Not going to whine, but only guff with it is the start screen and the rather flat appearance compared to 7... Both of which are easily worked around.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Tags: Add Tags