1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows NT Folder sharing... user access

Discussion in 'Software' started by Washfordmonkey, 2 Oct 2007.

1. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

Hey guys.. need some help again

is there anything i can use to make access to a folder on our network easier..

every machine has a shared set of folders which we all use. (mapped drives)
    but theres one drive which i would like to make private so that i can use it only (a software folder)

but if i ever need to use it on anyone of the machines i can access it with a password from their machine?
    make sence??

2. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Where is the folder stored? Are you using Active Directory on a server, or just a shared folder on another XP machine?

3. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Share it out with a $ on the end of the sharename, this will make it hidden so users won't be able to browse for it, then setup the permissions on the share so that only your user have read or read/write access to it, finally setup file/folder permissions so that only your user has access to the files/folders. Even if a normal user then tries to connect to it they'll see nothing. When you connect to it map in the normal way but then fill in the box for use this username/password credentials to connect to the share.

4. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

Well it gets more complicated than that.. it also houses the backup drive.. so each of the machines needs to be able to access it.. but i dont want them to be able to see it?
    and its on a windows nt 4.0 machine.. without active directory

5. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

What I've suggested will work, you just need to make sure that the software you want to access is in a separate folder to the backups.

Tags: