1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yakyb, 8 Sep 2011.

1. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I did a search and could not find a thread for these excellent phones

whom here has one or is thinking of getting one?
    what apps do you use?

the interface is very intuitive and if this is a sign of what is to come with Windows 8 there are excellent things ahead.

i have been using Mango (update to software) for about a month now and it is truly excellent

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I run a HTC HD7 and wouldn't change it for anything. It integrates with everything I've thrown at it, the battery life lasts over a day, even when I use it almost constantly, the screen is a joy to use and the UI is the smoothest I've seen of ANY operating system for a phone, bar none.

3. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

My Milestone is due for an upgrade in a month or so, and I can't wait to switch to WP7! Though is there any news on when the first wave of Mango phones are due?

4. yakyb

Same

I think the Battery is something often overlooked, I went out and bought two spares on ebay and keep one fully charged at all times i the car

so i can just swap it out if need be ( love to see an IPhone user do that)

but agree the phone really is a joy to use and in comparision to my wife's Iphone just looks and feels like 2 generations ahead.

Apple are going to have to go some to make Iphone 5 be able to stand up to them.

5. yakyb

i heard that mango is Imminent, i know that the marketplace team a busy re-evaluating apps for mango and i have been running mango for a little over a month now. not sure on hardware manufacturers however

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Mango is currently with phone operators, so you can expect it very soon. It's not like Apple either where you pay. It's free to any WP7 user.

7. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

had the samsung omnia 7 for a week before i sent it back.
    randomly hubs stopped working and only a reboot was able to fix them
    after 4 days all my sms conversations have been gone for good

had an iphone 3g before and altough apps crashed now and then iirc i had to reboot the device once because of an error. talking about apps - at the time i had the omnia7 there was nothing really useful available...

have a nexus s now and i enjoy using it just like i enjoyed my iphone before.

out of curiosity i'd like to try an updated w7 phone now but meh :)

8. Risky

Risky Modder

I was keen on Windows Mobile before and was close to buying a Dell Venue Pro but got cold feet as it seemed to have a few issues and I was concenred it was almost our of date before it launched.

In the end I moved to a dumb-phone and an android tablet, but I would consider WP in the future.

9. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Their hardware refreshes are too slow. The HD 7 is a nice phone, but it is basically an HD2 (which I use with the Nexus S ROM). I love that phone and how much mileage I got out of it, but if someone tried to charge me a full price contract and offer two year old hardware today, I'd just laugh at them. Sure, the hardware is quick enough to run the OS both WP7 and Android, but it will be a limiting factor when it comes to aps and what you can do with them, especially once gaming takes off a bit more. Furthermore, the screen resolution on WP7 is average. The HTC Titan (newly announced phone with a 4.7 inch screen) is exactly my form factor, but it still has a single core cpu (though it is 1.5 Ghz), only 512 MB Ram and most disappointingly still only a WVGA screen (800x480). And it's supposed to be a high end device. I do a lot of web browsing on my phone and this sort of res on a 4+ inch screen is unacceptable in 2011/2012, but it looks like it will still be a standard for MS. When it comes to screen quality and pixel density, sadly, both Android and iOS destroy WP7.

I know that the entire experience counts more than just a list of specs. The N9's spec list is fairly low end, but from all the reviews the phone is a joy to use. The same is true for many WP7 devices, but there is no hiding the fact that their hardware is close to 2 years old and compared to a Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Sensation, these phones are average, but cost almost the same for some magical reason.

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I was running WinMo6.5 on my HD2 a while back, and whilst it was alright, it just began to lag like a biatch after about 3 months, needing a hard reset to sort it out.

Put Android on it and hey presto ;) Although syaing that, my contracts up for renewal in Feb, may look at Win7 then..

11. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I used a very heavily skinned version of winmo 6.5 for a long time and after I got fed up with it, installed the Nexus S rom around 8-9 months ago. My contracts finished in June and I was really tempted by the Samsung Galaxy S2, but in the end having an 8£ per month contract vs 35£ pm one made the decision easier. Frankly, the phone still handles pretty much everything I throw at it which goes to show how much ahead the HD2 was when it comes to hardware when it first released. I think I'll wait until my old phone starts feeling slow. I'm hoping that by June next year there will be a phone with a quad core cpu, 1GB Ram, 4.7-5 inch 1280x800 Super Amoled screen. If Microsoft can get their act together when it comes to hardware I might even consider WP7 (it's just so gorgeous), though by now I am so invested into Google services that it will probably have the latest stock Android rom.

12. Risky

Risky Modder

They need to support keyboards in landscape mode as I want a querty phone if I go that direction again, by I suspect it will be WP8 by the time I get there.

13. yakyb

14. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

I won an LG Optimus 7 in the yearly "Make a game in 24 hours" that the Computer Science department at Hull runs. Had it for about a year now, and I have absolutely no qualms with it - it's fast, it works well, the OS layout is great.

The Mango update made it even better - everything just feels snappier, proper multitasking is nice. At some point I should really play around with developing for the thing.

But yeah, a fantastic phone for what it is, and it was free :D.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I was very tempted with a Windows powered device, but went the Android way, tbh though, in the 5 mins i had a play on it, i was impressed with how well it worked.

Sam

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I've got an iPhone, but I'm tempted to make the change to Windows Mobile 7. It just works really well and the graphics have a wonderfully retro feel to them while still being fresh. It actually makes iOS look dated and clumsy.

I'm just waiting for a few glitches to be worked out.

17. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Huh? What you chatting about Apple? I just upgraded my Mums 3GS to iOS 5. I didn't pay a penny.

On a sidenote I tried a WP7 phone the other day and the UI is outstanding, but I think will stick with Android for now for the customisation ability. The Dell Venue Pro is mighty tempting though.

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Since when did a day's battery life become good? My SE w850i from about 4 years ago still lasts for a week :/

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

When your phone as the same spec as the HD7, including the monstrous screen, then you will understand.

Sam

20. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

But you'd have thought that over the years battery life should have at least stayed the same.