1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows RT left out of the 'Universal' Windows Platform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, and before any of the regular crowd pitch up: yes, this *is* news. Sure, UWP apps don't work on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7, either - but someone on any one of those platforms can get compatibility for free by upgrading to Windows 10 in the coming year. Windows RT users aren't given that choice; they either put up with the fact that developers will likely abandon their non-UWP apps in favour of UWP versions, and that all new apps that hit the Store will likely be UWP, or they ditch their Windows RT tablets and buy something else.

3. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I take it from your defensive sounding comment that you've been getting crap from some of the readers about some of the news articles. I find that your reports, whilst fairly light, are quick and easy to read. If I want more depth I can go and find some analysis of the news and if I'm not really bothered about it, or I've read it elsewhere, then I don't read it.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It is. It's also totally 100% not a surprise to anyone, MS seemed to lose interest in RT about 5 minutes after they announced it. And they've spent most of it's existence whispering 'sssh... we don't talk about it... no, don't make eye contact with it, don't acknowledge its presence, just leave it to die...'

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

lol, where were all those people that used to say if Microsoft made windows for ARM then intel would die.

In fairness, it did cause Intel to pull there finger out in regards to there low power offerings. x86 low power chips have improved massively in the last 3-4 years.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I still have trouble with what is the difference really between RT and mobile... the only difference between arm smartphone and arm tablet is the lack of cellular and screen size (but not even necessarily higher resolution). Most of the stuff scales so I have no idea why they can't let those poor tablet owners update to 10 mobile.

7. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

I'd be glad to see it go just to end the naming conflicts between WinRT, Windows RT, and a hypothetical RT Windows.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Only when the topics are Microsoft, Apple, or Linux. Each of those brings out one particular member each who immediately goes on the offensive because their beloved (or, in the case of Linux, behated) brand has been mentioned in a light they'd prefer not to acknowledge. Regular readers would be able to name the members in question for each of those topics, too...

9. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Agree, and I wonder if that was perhaps one of the reasons MS started the RT project in the first place? The Atom processor has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years and is a pretty solid option now for almost everything bar gaming and top end media creation

10. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

It's a shame that Windows RT tablets are to be killed off. As much as they limited in the use, the screen is fantastic! They are light weight for a tablet that size too.

I use a RT for reading magazines online and hate the fact there is no Chrome :( I also use a RT for displaying adverts at work and also have another for home that I have stuck on the wall as a Weather forecaster and occasional media player!

Why can't MS do an optional update that would make it a W10 device?