1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Server 2008 - what can I do?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Igniseus, 24 Jul 2010.

1. Igniseus

Igniseus What's a Dremel?

Hi all.

I'm currently learning Windows Server 2008 so that I have experience with it when I start my first real IT job soon. It won't be supporting servers, but I'm ideally looking to be administrating servers, networks and the like in the not-too-distance future.

I have no experience with Windows Server or similar and I'm not using any training or books, I'm just having a play around and trying to learn practically through exploration and testing. I know my way around every Windows version since '95 though so I think I'm doing pretty good so far.

My server so far is currently running an Active Directory with 1 member PC (would be 2, but my primary PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium). It's also got IIS with my website on.

What else can I play around with in my tiny LAN environment?

Thanks

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Set up a load of users and go crazy with policies, learn how they work, how they affect each other etc..

That should keep you busy for a little while..

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'd seriously consider buying a book or a CBT nuggets lab.
    I'd look at GPO's, terminal services, certificate services etc as they're all the sorts of things that are on the Microsoft Server exams.

4. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Don't go too crazy with policies though. Our network engineers have and it takes forever to apply them upon login now :(