1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows shows security warning and blocks net access

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by David, 10 Sep 2023.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We dropped the youngest at WInchester Uni yesterday and, when we got home late last night he phoned to say WIndows is throwing up a security error for every website he tries, and he can't get past it. This is on EduRoam university wifi.

I'm guessing it's a firewall/AV issue, but I can't remember the last time I used public wifi, and I've never encountered this error, but I have made sure that his browser is enabled for public and private access in Windows Defender. No joy though.

I'm sure some helpful soul here knows a simple way to sort this PITA.

Anyone?

Last edited: 10 Sep 2023
  2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Sounds like eduroam uses Man in the Middle monitoring, where they decrypt all https, inspect, then encrypt again with their certificate.

There's a configuration assistant tool: https://cat.eduroam.org/

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

He's solved it. You won't believe it.

There's ethernet and a wifi AP in the room. He plugged in the ethernet - no internet. Then he fitted the wifi antenna to his PC to use the wifi which is where the problems started.

I've spent hours on the phone trying different things and then he thought, what if the ethernet cable is bad? So, he unplugged it and, while he was grabbing one of the spare cables I packed for him, the wifi connected and displayed youtube. The ethernet is completely down but, having it plugged in caused all his wifi security problems.

What the actual ****?!?

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good to hear you've sorted that out. Didn't realise he was that close to home, just the wet bit to contend with, as will most of your travels.
    I'm at home, should be in Hitchin delivering my daughter to he student house, but she's been ill overnight.
    Looks like a day of on Tues to do the honours

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

likely bc it wasn't actually trying the wifi and doing everything over ethernet bc as far as windows concerned it was a working connection.

IIRC by default windows will always prioritise wired over wireless and only switch if it knows 100, for sure that the wired is not connected or is unplugged, and the Ethernet was working just enough for that not to happen. [Phones will do it too, where it's in a situation where the wifi is 'working' so it doesn't automatically swap to mobile data]

EDIT: you can change the order of priority -

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10