1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows windows time updating

Discussion in 'Software' started by MovieFreak, 21 Dec 2004.

1. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

The windows time update services, it checks the time over the net, twice a day and updates your system time. (as we all know without this your computer can't keep time worth a ****.

Problem is, I use protowall, and the site that microsoft uses to verify it's time with, is well microsoft itself.

I don't want to remove the microsoft sites from my blocklist obviously (and yes, windows update works just fine through protowall) and I remember you could set an alternative system to use to upate your system time.

Anyone able to refresh my memory?

Last edited: 21 Dec 2004
  2. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

Actually, it's not protowall.

In services.msc I don't see a section on changing the site that it uses or whatever. My comps like 15 minutes off each day, which is getting annoying. (and yes my mobo battery is brand new)

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

4. Klolle

Klolle What's a Dremel?

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Dec 2004
  5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I like the Dimension4 program. Loads at boot, synchronises your clock when you go online, then exits. Fit & Forget. Or lots of other options.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Uhh... there are two other servers in a dropdown box in the time settings thing.

7. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

I always use the NIST time sync, not Microsoft's. I trust the government's time-keeping standards better than an independant company's. You have to have the "Automatically Syncronize Time" checked though.

I've also noticed that if you do a manual syncronize with Microsoft, it only allows you to do it at certain times. That might have something to do with it.

FYI, "NIST" is the National Institute of Standards and Technology in the US. They're the ones that determine things like the exact time, exact weight measurements, and pretty much all that other Utterly Boring Crap We Couldn't Live Without.

Tags: