1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Virus

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by saxman, 30 Aug 2006.

1. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

Ok so I am pretty sure I got a virus on my PC. THe machine is slowed down. Some applications no longer work and IE decides to pop windows up all the time making work impossible. I had just enough patience to back up my critical files and get ready for a re-format. I put my windows disk into the drive intending to re-install windows and use the reformat tool in the windows install. It boots from the cd and gives the first line of text for install. Scanning your hardware configuration. Then I get nothing but a black screen. Any suggestions?

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Turn off all the onboard hardware you can: audio, networking, firewire, etc. Turn USB down to 1.1 mode (if possible), Unplug unneeded peripherals (scanner, printer, wifi card, etc.) What mobo and graphics card do you have?

ch424

3. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I will try to shut down all the periferals. I am running an MSI GeForce 6600GT. And My mobo is the Gigabyte 8TRS350MT. I will try to run the install and get back on that barebones install.

4. spoon13

spoon13 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you have adware installed... hence the IE popups at random intervals. I recommend downloading and running SpyBot, also use their immunization option to block thousands of site popups. I would also recommend downloading and running HiJackThis, Adaware and even the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool just to cover all the basis. Finally do a virus scan with whatever you got, although NOD32 is what I would personally recommend, you should be able to get a free trial.

Not to be rude or anything but unplugging your peripherals and cords will do nothing in this case as it simply seems to be some adware running hidden hogging resources and popping up IE windows to try and force ads upon you.

5. spoon13

spoon13 What's a Dremel?

My apologies, I didnt read the last sentance of your initial post; the first part of your post accurately describes spyware/adware as I stated, however after reading the last few sentances, I completely see where ch424 is going with this (and agree); hopefully my previous post will provide you with some help in the future if the need arises.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Can I ask why you want to reformat rather than clean the infection?

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

A lot of people find it easier.

But also from a practical POV its easier to ensure all the related crap from the Virus is flushed

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Guess so, I'd prefer to keep all my settings and programs though.

Guess you could image the drive after a clean install to make it easier to start afresh.

9. spoon13

spoon13 What's a Dremel?

I personally feel it depends on how bad the infestation is; although how would you know unless you at least attempt to remove it and see if there is any aftermath. Remove infestation, reg repair, perhaps a quick defrag would most likely leave the computer in a state as if it never happend; of course this assumes that you really cleaned it all, in which case I suppose formatting is the best solution. Yay for windows, the double edged sword.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Normally I find a scan by antivirus (with newist defs) and then SpyBot & MS Defender will remove almost everything.

Maybe a quick google to find a specific removal tool for anything that stays resident after.

Though I've been doing Tech Support for 5Years now so am quite used to removing spyware/viruses. I guess for a less experienced user it would be easier to format and start again.

11. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

ok thanks for all the suggestions. I am working towards finding these programs and running them. As to why I was just going to start fresh is because I had jst done a reformat and was working on rebuilding the programs on the computer. I figured just a reformat would be much quicker and simpler than trying to clean the system. I wil work on that and get back to you on how it goes. Thanks