1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows wants me to activate (again)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GenerationX, 6 Mar 2009.

1. GenerationX

GenerationX What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

My motherboard recently died and after buying a new one I came across a small but annoying problem. My PC would boot fine, I'd get to the Windows log on screen and then it would tell me I can't log in until I activate Windows. The only system difference is a new motherboard and RAM. I looked around the net for a bit and found something that said it could be fixed with a simple restart. I tried this and it worked. After that session I tried to get into Windows again and I had the same problem, now the restarts don't even work.

I have a legitimate OEM copy of Windows XP and and I've only installed it on one hard drive. I could solve this by reformatting but that would take hours and I'm hoping to keep it as a last resort.

Now I turn to the good people of Bit-Tech safe in the knowledge that one of you will almost certainly know what causes this (apart from the obvious), and possibly harbour a solution.

Cheers all

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Just actiavte windows. If it wont let you, call in and do it over the phone.
    I've had to do this many times when installing new hardware on my system.

GenerationX likes this.
  3. GenerationX

Don't suppose you know the opening hours?

Also I can't activate online as I can't boot into Windows, if I plug in an ethernet cable it doesn't pick up the internet (so to speak) as I'm not in the OS.

Is this install new hardware and have to activate again a common problem?

4. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Its an automated system, so open 24/7. Used it in the past after experiencing your exact problem. :)

GenerationX likes this.
  5. Matticus

Matticus ...

I had to do it a few times, if you ring them up, it will give you a number they are open pretty much 24 hours or something pretty late. And they will probably just ask you why and just say your motherboard broke and you had to make a suitable replacement and they will give you the reactivation code.

Depends, I don't know if it is random or if it was because I reactivated windows on the same but very slightly different machine several times that it put me through to some guy. Though the last time I did it for someone else it was completely automated.

GenerationX likes this.
  6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That wouldn't help, you've made a major hardware change and will need to activate Win. You normally have several days grace but your messing with "restarts" has probably killed that if you can't even boot into Win.

To activate you need to be able to first run a Win program (the Activation Wizard) to create a hash code number based on your hardware configuration which you give them; you will need to start from scratch and reinstall a working XP or you'll be unable to both generate the code and activate with the number MS give you in return.

Strictly speaking, a new motherboard out of guarantee period nullifies the OEM licence, but MS seem to be very tolerant, so give them a ring.

http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/activate/phone/

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
    GenerationX likes this.
  7. GenerationX

The events thus far have been mixed. I managed to enter Windows in safe mode and set up some of my drivers so I could connect to the net. I tried to activate online and it failed. I then tried the phone service which worked. After restarting my system I once again found myself locked out. Tried calling Microsoft again this morning only to find they can't process activation requests as their systems are down. I was told to call back in an hour which I did. I was then informed by 'Robbie' who half way through the conversation changed his name to 'Jason' (I kid you not) that they would be down for another half an hour. I'm now stuck here waiting in the hope that their inability to process activation requests is causing my problem.

8. GenerationX

The fault was with Microsoft the whole time. Finally managed to get my copy activated after 4 phone calls. Had trouble understanding what the MS guy said but it had something to do with their security. I'm glad that's out the way.

Cheers to everyone that offered me advice. :thumb: