1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Windows won't detect hard drive

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by computerman, 17 Jan 2010.

1. computerman

computerman What's a Dremel?

Here are the specs of the desktop:
    AMD x2 4200 was overlocked now at stock speed
    2GB Corsair and 2GB Kingston Ram
    Asus A8N SLI SE now changed to MSI RD480 Neo 2 Motherboard
    1 Samsung spingpoint SP2504c Sata 250GB Master
    1 Samsung Spintpoint HD401LJ Sata 400GB Slave
    Antec Truepower 550w PSU
    Artic cooling Freezer 64 pro
    ATI sapphire 4890 OC edition
    NEC 4570A DVD-RW
    Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

I was on firefox suddenly windows 7 stopped responding but the cursor was, i reset the pc and all of a sudden it post could not detect hard drive and kept telling me to inster system disk, i went into the bios of the Asus A8n SLI SE and the bios was not able to detect any hard drive. I used POST Diagnostic card to diagnose and it found no issues.

I tested both hard drives on a different pc the bios was able to detect both of them on that pc, when the 250GB hard drive was installed it loaded windows 7 halfway and then resets at that time i thought the reset was due to windows 7 license issue. Seeing that the hard drives were detected on the other pc i thoughtt he sata host controller was the problem and went to ebay and got myself a second hand MSI RD 480 NEO 2.

With the new Motherboard installed the BIOS is able to detect both hard drives, IT goes to the windows7 error recovery menu when i select start windows normall the windows 7 loadiing screen pops up then i get a BSOD and it resets.
    BSOD ERROR: **/ stop: 0x0000007b (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X00000000000000000X0000000000000000)
    . It resets when i load into safe mode. If i select repair windows at the recovery menu it is unable to find a previous installation of windows.
    windows xp and 7 installation does not detect the hard drives.

[​IMG]

I took a hard drive loaded with windows xp it resets when loading xp windows xp installation wont detect that hard drive too.
    Things that i have tried:
    replaced the ati 4890 with nvidia 8500gt
    Changed sata cables
    Used a molex to sata adaptar to power the hard drive to test the sata power cables.
    Removed each ram and inserted them one by one.
    Used a samsung hard hard drive utility the hard drives were tested to be ok, tested for auto detect, read, write, spin up, spin down and surface scan.
    Disconnected the dvd drive
    Voltage readings in the bios seem to be ok.

Thanks for any of your help it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2010
  2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It's because you've gone from one motherboard to another and the initial batch of files accessed from the hard drive are looking for supporting hardware that no longer exists. This usually happens when shifting from one chipset to another.

You have three options. You can attempt a repair install, which recreates the kernel files (hal, ntos, etc) and retains your personal files and programs. You'll also have to reinstall a load of windows updates.

Or you could do a fresh install to an unused partition, back everything up from your other drives then do a fresh install on your original drive/partition. Obviously, this option would mean installing all your drivers, software, updates, etc.

Lastly, you could boot from a live linux distro cd and back up via that, then do a fresh install (Assuming they can read ntfs and write to usb/cd/fat32).

3. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

*cough*
    Do a clean install
    *cough*
    You'll be fixed quicker and happier in the long run
    *final cough*

4. computerman

As mentioned in the above post windows cannot find a previous installation when i attempt to use repair. Since the installation of windows 7 and xp cannot find a partition how am i suuposed to install a new operating system without another hard drive. Bart pe xp live cd is unable to detect hard drives.

5. kenco_uk

Ah sorry, skimmed past that bit. Have a look in your bios and see what mode sata is in. It'll need to be IDE or NATIVE. It may for some reason be set to AHCI or even RAID.

6. computerman

ide

7. kenco_uk

Have you checked the dvd drive is set to master? And tried it plugged into the Secondary pata port? I seem to recall an issue where if it was plugged into the Primary pata socket it could play silly buggers.

8. computerman

I have disconnected the dvd drive and booted it, i did not tamper with the dvd drive jumpers so it should be set to master. I forgot to mention i used a program called quicktec pro which found problems with the ram so i took out the ram and installed them one by one same thing happens, i then used windows memory diagnostic which found no problems. i doubt this is related to the problem but i also have a creative xfi xtreme music sound card installed altho that is unused due to windows 7 driver issues.
    the samsung utility i used was this http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html it only threw up errors when i did a long siurface scan on the 250gb hard drive and suggested is should format but cant since i havent backed up the data, quick surface scan was ok. anybody have any other ideas what the cause might be?

Last edited: 18 Jan 2010
  9. computerman

10. kenco_uk

Huh? So, none of the sata ports are native??!

Ah... this, from bindi's review..
    Well, I'll be. Glad you got it sorted :thumb:

11. computerman

thanks for quoting the review, the ebayer seller provided a cd with the driver instead of the floppy disk, plus my machine doesnt have a floppy disc.

12. computerman

I now seem to have a memory related issue with this Motherboard, bought myself a sata 2 controller from startech which i now regret as the divers were terrible, had to creat a new windows disc as windows kept saying their latest drivers were not signed. so after several hours trying to install 64 bit windows 7 64 bit, it only detects 3Gb, I check at the post screen same thing 3GB. MSI states this supports 4Gb DDR400, Bizarrely CPU-Z shows 4GB is installed. Resource monitor states the total installed memory is 3GB and 0 for Hardware reserved so i doubt it is a memory mapping issue. see this screenshot here [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Feb 2010
  13. computerman

now one of my ram shows up as 320MB
    [​IMG]
    strange moved the ram sticks around and cpu-z is detecting 4gb bios is still 3gb.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2010