1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Wine Chiller/Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bajastx, 10 Jan 2003.

1. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I just got my liquid cooling setup together and was thinking about installing my reservoir and radiator in one of these.

I would tint the glass on the wine chiller to match the window on my case and throw a cold cathode in it. I don't think I'd need any fans on the radiator, but some LED fans would probably help a bit and look cool through the glass door too.

The temperatures of the wine chiller are adjustable from 3°C (37°F) to 17°C (62°F).

Does anyone see any problems with this?

Last edited: 10 Jan 2003
  2. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Would fans on the radiator inside the wine chiller actually help at all?

3. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I think if you put a heat source in a fridge, the fridge will lose all efficiency and will hardly touch the radiator temperature.

Feel free to prove me wrong though :D.

4. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Think you may be right on that...

Unless you cut a hole, mounted the radiator and had the chilled air blowing out of the cooler through the radiator.

Depends how much heat the radiator produces.

Also be aware of the dew point and condensation.... Dont want drips in your computer :eeek:

Good luck.
    Sam C

5. olv

olv he's so bright

Radiators in watrcooling setups don't get hot or 'produce' a noticable amount of heat. I think sticking a radiator in a fridge would work excelently

6. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Mine sure does! It is cooling the PSU and a heavily overclocked CPU though/

7. George

George Bah

its been done manier times before in freezers and such and it just isnt as effective as you think.

fridges/freezers arnt meant to cool things that create heat. so it would lose all effeciency (like already mentioned).

thanks,

.icecube

8. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I think the idea samcat had would work quite well. I would have the radiator on the outside of the fridge, with a fan sucking air out of the fridge, through the rad and into the outside air. This *should* stop the rad heating the inside of the fridge.

9. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Right now I have the Swiftech 330GPH pump, Swiftech MCW462 block, and two Black Ice Micro's run in series.

I don't really have a way to measure the temp of the rads themselves or measure how much heat they're producing, but the little tanks on the BIM's where the inlet/outlet tubes are don't feel much warmer than ambient temp... maybe 2-3°C warmer.

I agree that if there's a constant heat source inside a refrigerator it will raise the inside temps, but it just seems like it would have to be cooler inside the refrigerator than outside of it.

Does anyone have any links or writeups on watercooling w/ the use of a refrigerator?

10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Some good points here

My suggestion if u do attempt it *even though i already saw your other thread*

Is to just drop the radiators and have a large res....Knock out the middle man sota speak....

As stated the frig is designed to only have to really cool when u open the door....Once its down to a certin temp the compressor shuts off usualy until the door is open again. Thats why they are usualy magneticly sealed...So usualy the compressor crapss out in a few months.....

11. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Good idea with the large reservoir.

I have a small (1.4 cubic ft.) refrigerator that I used in college. I may hack it up a bit to see how it works before I buy the wine chiller or peltier.

Thanks for the input.

12. sailor

sailor What's a Dremel?

To be honest I doubt a wine cooler would be man enough for what you are proposing.

think of it this way, how long does it take to cool a couple of bottles of wine from ambient to it's cut out temp?

then ask your self how much energy there is being removed just in that task?

next think how much energy you'll be askinging it to cope with from even a modest cpu output?

I think you get the picture!

A better idea would be too rip it apart and directly mount your cooling to the evaporator and seal in polystyrene to reduce heat input from atmosphere, however this would still leave pronlem of compressor overload.

Ps my last job was site engineer at a million cubic foot cold store!:brrr:

13. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

as mentioned, this would really suck. The key do getting this to work would be to disable the cycling of the compressor on and off. In some cases, it may be a simple as flipping a switch or turning a sensitivity dial, but not always. You could always hardwire the compressor to an AC cord.

14. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

or you could set the temp sensor that controls the setup to read the water temp and not the air temp..

Tags: