1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WinXP random reboots

Discussion in 'Software' started by Buzzard, 17 Feb 2002.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard What's a Dremel?

I've reinnstalled XP 2 times - with same result. The last time I formatted as well. All drivers - BIOS, Via 4 in 1, nvidia drivers, xp updates.. everyting updated.

I had altmost the same problem in Win2k

Checked all hardware except CPU & motherboard - don't have any to switch with..

The crashes always occur while CPU is idle.. It's stable if running a burning test or anything else that use 100% CPU..

strange?

Not clocked good temps.. Since I've checked all hardware it's no use in making a list of spesifications since I know it's not what's wrong..

MB MSI K7T266 PRO-RU
    CPU Athlon tbird 1200Mhz

can it have something to do with idle state and settings in BIOS which don't change when reset or updated?

I get bluescreens flashing for a sec before the PC is restarting.. driving me mad !

2. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Is it crashing when accessing the cd rom or harddisk? A friend of mine had a problem with WinXP bluescreening and crashing, and it turned out to be a slightly dodgy IDE cable. Apparently WinXP was trying to write to its virtual RAM on the harddisk, encountering a small problem, then bluescreening and crashing.

Maybe worth swopping the IDE leads out? - It seemed to work for my friend...

3. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

yeah try what sc00by said, i have heard of lots of problems associated with dodgy ide cables, things like drives not being recognised and things ;)

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

a friend of mine claimed that his computer crashed randomly unless he ran it at 100% - i thought he was just imagining it...seems very odd though don't it ?

5. Burwell

Burwell What's a Dremel?

I don't know if this will have anything to do with you problem but here it goes. When I built my first computer I put too many standoffs on the motherboard plate (I even put them were there were not holes!). At that time I had ME, and My computer was reseting by it's self for what seemed like no reason. It turns out the extra standoffs I used were causing some sort of short and my computer would reset. Try checking to see if anything is touching your mobo when it shouldn't be. This MIGHT help.

6. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Do you get a bl00 screen briefly b4 it restarts? look @ it to see wots wrong - if you cant read it turn off the option " restart on bl00 screen" in control panel. That should help pinpoint the problem

7. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

This happened to a customer of mine, and it turned out to be the memory he was using. He was using P133's, when the motherboard only allowed P100's.

It's worth a shot!

8. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

If your PSU cant supply power to the CPU for even a fraction of a second the system will restart. Problem can be Voltage spikes and lags, the latter being the main cause.

If your running some serious draining gear i.e. mods and fans and other stuff, maybe crank up the PSU. Or look at your mains supply.

I had XP crashing on me for ages before i worked out i had a bad dimm.

Serves me right for buying the cheap ****e!

ride

9. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

I have a m8 who has the same problem. It turned out to be his on board sound.....I cant remeber the exact details, but he said that there was a XP sound update on the MSI webby.

I hope that helps, if not ...... post a reply and I'll get him to post here for u ;)

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

as phrozenpenguin said: turn off the auto reboot so u can see the message... most of the time i bl00 screen (under 2k) its one of two 3rd party drivers .dll s
    sometimes it don't have anything... if it does have dll file the name could help narrow the problem down :D

11. relix

relix Minimodder

... or just use some distrubuted applications, always 100% ;)

Tags: