1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rekarp, 12 Nov 2004.

1. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

I have 3 computers in my room that i would like to connect to my wireless network. I could get several pci cards and install them. But is there a way i could bridge the wireless network to my ethernet connection? I found some bridges but they only have one port on the back and i need 3. Can i have some suggestions?

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If you want to bridge from wired to wireless: best get a wireless router if you don't already have one, so you get WEP/WPA protection.

If you want to bridge from wireless to wired: use the bridge built right into windows xp (requires a wired and wireless card in a single computer and for that computer to be on for others to acess network)

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

yah i need to bridge from wireless to wired but is there like a boxorsomthing i could get? Having multipul computers on at once would be a hassal for me. Any suggestions?

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

perhaps something like this and then just hook it into a cheap switch

In theory it should work a charm.

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I used a dwl-900ap+ in a bridge with my wireless router (used to be a di-614+ now a di624) for almost 2 years. Worked real nice until the ap died for no apparent reason yesterday :wallbash:

The secret is to put the ap in something called client mode and enter the lan mac address of your wireless router.

Just plug in a switch and you have an instant wireless bridge!

Someone else on #bit-tech has done this, I think it was jake^the^cake, except he used a dwl-2100ap instead.

I guess dlink now makes stand alone products that you just plug in and they do it, but that just isn't any fun now is it?

6. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

so i can use a wiresless access point and connect a switch to it? That sounds great. Would there be any configing besides the standard stuff?

7. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

^^

8. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

ok thx

Tags: