1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks wireless express cards? know of any with ext connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tacticus, 15 Apr 2006.

1. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

well does anyone know of any 34 or 54 wifi express cards i am after something based on a good chipset (prism\atheros or similar) and support for an external antenna

so the question of this topic is do you know of any?

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

a PCI or PCMCIA card?

3. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

Whats an express card? Do you mean PCI Express?

If you do mean PCI Express: why would you need PCI Express? 54Mbps is not really a lot of bandwith, and normal PCI can handle that quite good actualy.
    Second thing is that there are no wifi chipsets that support PCI Express yet.
    Third thing is that all PCI cards have an external antenna. Internal just won't work, because the case would absorb all radiowaves you try to send out.
    The only difference between cards would be that there are two types of connector. RP-SMA and RP-TNC. So always find out what type of connector you have, before looking for a new antenna.

If you are referring to PCMCIA cards (for laptops), there are just a few with external connectors. And those often happen to be ones using chipsets you are asking for.

In the case of MiniPCI (again for laptops), there is no chance you'll get one with external connectors, since they all have very small connectors for the internal anntennas of a laptop.
    If you have some space inside the laptop, you could try to make your own "pigtail" cable and make some external connectors in the side of the laptop.

edit:
    Here they have MiniPCI cards and a PCI-to-MiniPCI adaptercard.
    That way you can use any MiniPCI card of your liking in a normal PC, using an external RP-SMA antenna.
    (if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, that is)

Last edited: 15 Apr 2006
  4. tacticus

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I never heard of the interface, altough de diagram on the site you linked to shows that it interconnects through a PCIe / USB bus, weird:s Sorry that I couldn't help.

EDIT:found this on that site too:
    Maybe this helps others who know more about it?

EDIT2: and this:
    So the best bet is to look at the sites of the listed manufacturers

6. tacticus

the connector is just a different physical form factor of a pci-e 1x slot but the connector also has usb2.0 pins

edit1:i have been looking around but the majority of products out there seem to be rather consumer grade stuff and not suited for replacing my senao cards :\

but I have found http://keenansystems.com/nub-362_ext__200mw_802.htm so i think i will have to go find a review on it and see if it works with *nix

7. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

Ok, i've looked at that website, and i found out that Expresscard is the next step in PCMCIA cards. It uses PCI-Express and USB2 as internal interface, instead of ISA(PC Card) or PCI(Cardbus) as current PCMCIA slots.
    Its smaller and faster, and incompatible with the current cards.

According to the "Where to buy" page there, there are no Wifi cards yet.

edit:
    If you really want a good Wifi card, go look under the panels on the bottom of your laptop.
    Often there is a MiniPCI slot. Might be occupied by a wifi card already, but you should be able to take it out and replace it with a Atheros card.

MiniPCI looks a bit like a SODIMM slot, but with the notch more towards the side. If the notebook has internal anntenna's, the slot is accompanied by two wires (most often white and black, with extremely miniature 90 degree angled coax connectors)

Last edited: 15 Apr 2006
  8. tacticus

yeah i have looked into this but i am bit worried about the [stupid u with extended bottom(micro)).fl connector on the mini pci cards when coupled with a pigtail and the amount of work i do with my wireless cards would probably destroy the u.fl connector

so using the minipci slot to run my cards off is out because i use an external antenna most of the time from my car and when its not the omni on the car its one of the directionals i also have :\

looking around more it appears that some companies are making a express card 54 to pcmcia bridge device which sounds like an excellent solution again as long as there are drivers /me curses windows only network cards

curse dell for dropping the pcmcia slot just before i buy a laptop :( that and noone else having decent gaming laptops

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I think you should look around this site some more:
    Rock Xtreme CTX notebook

10. tacticus

sorry i should state noone stocks them in australia :(
    and those that have the semi decent stuff still want me to ship it off to them for warranty "sure i will send you my laptop so you can look at it and i will get it back in 3 - 6 months o_O"

11. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

we use entersys at our work doesnt need drivers just installs, and works on my linux Distros ;)

12. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

We use Enterasys too at some building I've set up(Enterasys is what I think you meant corvette)

P.S. Nice Post Count: 1,337

13. tacticus

hrrm in melb eh corvette :) go check out some of the engenius\senao stuff we found a much better quality though normally a bit more expensive

the main problem is that i cannot for the life of me find any wireless card that will have an ext antenna and fit in these new fangled express card slots in laptops

but thanks for the advice to everyone in the topic i think i might just have to wait and keep wardriving with my p133 craptop

Last edited: 18 Apr 2006
  14. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

Yea thats what i ment

The version of the card we use has a little cap on the back of the card which a small connection for a external antenna, And i havent come across a laptop which these dont work in

Sorry about the spelling ive been working really hard cant concerntrate properly

Tags: