1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless lan operating ranges

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1398342003, 29 Nov 2003.

1. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

My boss is asking me about installing a wireless network so that employees can work at home. The farthest distance he wants to network is 10 miles. Is there any way (costing less than $5000) to do this?

All wireless lan products I have found have a range of 400 meters (1200 feet) outdoors, and that's considerably less than 10 miles.(obviously)

Any recomendations?

2. Thumperup

Thumperup What's a Dremel?

LOL

Wireless is RETARTED idea for all his employees to access everything.

Main reason: in a 10 mile radious anyone with a wireless card can get on your network, I also don't think it can be done.

My suggestion: setup a VPN Server and let the employees log in through the secured wired connection.

3. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Well farthest ive seen so far is about 3km with any success...like said wireless access is not the best idea especially for a busniess that probably has pretty sensitive info on their network...

VPN is the best route

4. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

I am sure this is technically possible but there are all sorts of legal issues that you get when you go above a set power limit. Also don't forget that you will need powerful transmitters at both ends, not just the server end.

In SOHO wifi terms 1/2mile is a very long way, 10 miles is just a pipe dream

Rod

5. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

The second coming of the cakes?

I think your boss may have the wrong idea, or just doesn't understand the technology.

This wouldn't be any kind of solution that you could afford to do wirelessly or legally (easily) and as has already been stated, security would be a prime concern.

A common solution here would be to pay for your homeworkers to have broadband and then set up a secure VPN connection to your office over the internet.

6. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I thought as much. Here's my conversation with my boss, in rant format.

[Rant]
    Boss: Wireless is faster because the radio waves the signal is sent over travel at the speed of light.
    Me: A consumer level copper ethernet can send and recieve at a rate of 100Mb per second, while a consumer level wireless ethernet can communicate at 54Mb per second, and the copper system costs less than the wireless.
    Boss: Mr. Penner (me) light travels faster than electricity* therefore, wireless is faster.

Me: A VPN would be the way to go. (as you recomended)
    Boss: What does VPN stand for?
    Me: Virtual Private Network.
    Boss: That's what I'm talking about, a wireless VPN.
    Me: A VPN isn't wireless, it's a virtual private network over the internet.
    Boss: So a virtual private network is a virtual private network. (he starts to laugh)
    Me: I'm leaving. Go onto the internet and get some information. Come back after you have some information.
    [/Rant]

:wallbash: Well, one could say it was my fault, arguing with an educated idiot. :rolleyes:

7. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

he honestly thinks wireless access travels at the speed of light?? :eyebrow:

8. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

That's a classic.

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Kind of like the old "I still have checks, how can I be overdrawn?" argument...

Actually, it can be done with WiFi equipment with a bit of inginuity and line of sight.

look here for info

On this page, there is a guy who used a 30mW Lucent Orinoco card with a hand made cantenna made from Hormel Chili cans who was able to get a confirmed distance of 5.1 miles.

Using a commercial directional antenna: 10 miles

Using a commercial onmidirectional antenna: 10 miles

Enhanced power with commercial antenna: 35.2 miles

Last edited: 2 Dec 2003
  10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Wouldnt go 10miles for <$5000 though...

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Actually the people who got 10 miles with a directional antenna used a Hyperlink 24 dBi parabolic grid antenna ($64.95) with a stock/unmodified wifi card at the field (remote) site and a 2.4 GHz Professional 15 dBi Omnidirectional Antenna ($139.95) at the base station.

Total cost for the antennas: $204.90

Figure roughly $300 usd for the antennas, coax and hardware.

Tags: