1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kiltman, 14 Mar 2004.

1. kiltman

kiltman Victory is Mine!!

Ok first off i'm thinking of buying myself a laptop and am wanting to make it wireless in my house so i don't have to plug in any network cables.

At the moment i'm running a 3 computer network on a Netgear DG814 router, with a 1mb broadband connection.

What would i need to allow for wireless internet? do i have to buy a whole new setup and connect them all wirelessly or is there something i can get that will plug into the existing router that will allow me to connect only the laptop wirelessly?

Preferably the wireless network would be wither 802.11g 108Mbps or 54Mbps 802.11g, as im not sure at all about wireless networking i dont know if the 108mb one is possible as its on a 100mb router im using, im just thinking it might downgrade to 100mb??

thanks a lot :thumb:

2. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

Look for wireless access points

Dose the laptop include a wireless card if not then you will need a card for that.

Have a look at other companies. They are the ones i am looking at now, for specs.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Yep, you need an AP (access point). Assuming you have a spare LAN port on your router then plug one into that and get a wireless PCMCIA LAN card for your lappy. Easy to set up really. this is a good site for info: practically networked

4. kiltman

kiltman Victory is Mine!!

perfect thanks guys, thats what i thought i needed but better to confirm first, the laptop doesnt have a wireless card, so i knew i had to get one, again thanks for your quick replys and help :thumb:

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

np, broadband buyer do some package deals. Their site is really good for info as well. Worth a look ;)

Tags: