1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless problem with my laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by coolicus, 4 Aug 2011.

1. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!

After ignoring my poor little Dell Studio laptop for a month or so after building a gaming rig I came to want to sync a new ipod with my itunes library on the laptop and to update my podcasts. Unfortunately I hit a small snag in that it was unable to connect to the wireless network - it can see a number of connections in the area but upon trying to connect it simply fails. It does however connect when plugged in via ethernet which seems to point to some sort of issue with the wireless connectivity alone - my question is would this directly indicate the wireless card in the laptop is damaged? Because I would assume if that was the case it would not be able to see any networks at all?

Anyway I thank you all in advance and im not adverse to opening up the laptop and having a look to see if anything seems amiss but first I'd like to get some feedback from those with more knowledge of such things.

Thank you!

2. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Try with different encryption (or no encrytion) on your wireless, not all cards (or drivers) support WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I had a similar connectivity issue with Vista. All you needed to do was to totally remove all the settings you had for that connection, and then do it again from the scratch (connect, select the correct encryption if needed, set the correct password).

4. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

that happends if the SSID and password are the same but the encyption is different, XP didn't notice or didn't care but win 7 and vista flag it as a problem although usually with a fairly meaningful error message.

5. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all your super replys guys i really appreciate you taking the time to try and help but i just reset the router and its all working again :D!!!

Thank you all!