1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JazzXP, 23 May 2008.

1. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I'm trying to figure out what hardware I need for a wireless setup.

Basically I have a phone line in the kitchen (middle of the house), 3 PC's in one room (at one end of the house), and an XBox 360 and a Wii in the lounge room (at the far end of the house away from the PC's, Wii obviously can be hooked up via wireless, but the wireless adapter for the XBox is overpriced for what it is, so I'd prefer to avoid buying that).

I'm not exactly sure on what I need, I know I need at least 802.11g speeds as I want to stream videos off the PC's to the XBox. In the 'b' days it was easy, just a wireless router on the modem and buy a bridge for each end of the house. Problem is, that I haven't seen a 'g' bridge, so I'm not exactly sure on what I need. I would also like a built in VoIP setup, but I'm happy if that's just in the kitchen.

I need a new modem anyway (upgrading from ADSL to ADSL2+), so I can get an all in one, ADSL/Router/AP device. So what is everyone's suggestion on hardware. I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want crap either (willing to pay that bit extra for decent gear). One option I have considered is getting whatever for the modem/ap/router, then running two Linksys routers (ie. the Linux ones) with one of the custom firmwares, but would this be overkill for what I need?

Thanks

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

3. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Ooooh, thanks.

Now lets see if I can find a supplier in Australia. In all the computer stores I've been to, none sell them and look at me strange when I ask for one.

4. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

Hi, you can use a home plug for the xbox 360? It consists of two plugs, one which goes by the console and the other goes by the router, and you connect an ethernet lead up from each plug to the ethernet ports to the hub/console. Basically these plugs use the existing power wiring in your house as ethernet leads and you can get speeds up to 44Mbps and beyond. They are available in the UK for around £60 per pair, not sure about australia, but probably the equivalent.

Or you can get a long ethernet lead and tuck it behind the sofas!

5. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

gotta agree with thebestnews above - i have found home plug networking to be good value and very reliable.

i've installed a few ZyXEL P660HWP Super G+ Wireless ADSL Router with in-built PowerLine HomePlug which is an all in one device that allows you to stream content using a HomePlug network or wirelessly. this one runs upto 200 mbps so is good for streaming hd material too.

that said long ethernet leads are cheaper ;-)

6. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I've got this set up now with a couple of Linksys WET54G bridges. They were kind of annoying to set up (due to them being on a 192.168.1.xxx address by default, and my network being different, with no info about that in the manual), but they seem to work well. I haven't tried streaming movies yet though...

Tags: