1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling wonky idea. will this work??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arkantos, 29 Jul 2006.

1. Arkantos

Arkantos What's a Dremel?

i am madly saving up money to buy my next computer.

these are the specs i am aiming for:

Mother Board:
    Option 1: Intel Server S-5000-PSL
    Option 2: Intel Server S-5000-VSA

Processor: Intel xeon 5160 - 4mb L2 - 3.0 Ghz - 80 watts * 2pcs = 6.0 GHz raw
    RAM: Hynix FB-DIMM DDR2 2 GB Sticks * 3pcs = 6 GB

Primary HDD: Seagate ST3500641AS 500 GB Sata
    Secondary HDD: Seagate ST3750640AS 750 GB Sata

Graphix:
    aiming for this
    Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 512MB Dual Display
    but really wanting this:
    Nvidia Quadro FX 4500X2 1024MB Quad Display

Display: Samsung 1100P+ 0.21mm 1800x1440 * 2 / 4 pcs

PSU: Turbo Cool 1KW - is this good??

Cabinet: still thinking (aiming to make it myself)
    Cooling: still thinking

i have a few queries.

as this will be a pretty hot system, i was thinking of dunking the whole MB/prc/ram into a bath of kerosene or some other oil which could then be cooled by a rad. HDDs, DVDs and other stuff, i can mount in the air.

i dont suppose i can dunk the HDD into the tub?
    overall, is this a good idea?
    in your opinion, what is the best way to cool this fire hazard?? :D

i have decided to use a liquid based cooling system. but i shall not use water.
    since i am investing more than INR 5,00,000 (USD 12,500), i am not risking anything :)

my current options in fluids are:
    100% alchohol
    kerosene
    ethylene glycol (is it conductive??)
    do you have any ideas / suggestions??

i have some doubts reg the PSU. i would need some of your opinions

as you probably have guessed, this rig will not be used for gaming.
    oh well, i shouldn't lie. maybe a li'l bit of gaming.
    but the main application is calculating genome algorithms. a huge amount of simple maths IMO.

any comments, criticisms, suggestions, constructive or otherwise will be greatly apreciated.

Ark!

Last edited: 29 Jul 2006
  2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I take it tihs is a workstation ? Turbocool (PCP&C) are a good PSU company so no worries there :). If this is for personal use then there is no point in getting Xeon's and Quadro's You'd be far better off with a conroe core and a pair of 7900GTX's or 2 X1900 XTX's :) Also watercooling (using de-Ironised/Disstilled water) will be fine, you just have to take your time, leak test and be careful.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Well, it has been done for extreeme overclocking, but with vegetable oil. Most of the substances on your list are wither combustable or flamable and heating them by submerging a computer in them is just asking for a bad fire.

If you've got that kind of money to burn, you probably want phase change cooling anyway. There are now several good "off-the-shelf" phase change systems on the market for around a thousand USD.

4. Fr4nk

I need to read the thread better... Ignore....

EDIT: To be honest, No, it doesn't soudn like a good I dea to completely submerge your computer, I know it's possible but it just seems silly, impracticle and will stink like a chippy. If you've got money to sped just go for a good watercooling kit witha nice big radiator and some nice, well preforming blocks.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2006
  5. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

A loop with non-conductive cooling fuild.

6. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Well everything in there is hazardus.... How much $ are you willing to spend on a cooler..phase change is the best you can get(if you don't have liquid hidrogen...or dry ice) If you aren't willing to spend big money on phase change then the only thinkg i would recomend is watercooling. It should keep you're sys cool....and if this is not enough then buy a s**tload of fans and hook-em up. The 1kW will most probably have no problem whatsoever.
    The quadro isn't bad....but you have the FireGL V7350....1024 GDDR 3 RAM...should work well....I don't really know anything about Crossfire for it but it is possible you can make it work.

7. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

You would be much better off just doing what Nexxo did, go with traditional water cooling but use Floronert, (sp) as your cooling fluid, it is 100% non cunductive, and has almost the same heat absorption as water.

The use of any petrochemical is very unwise, they are very corrosive, and the vapor is very flamible. dunking a system still dosent work as a good day to day solution, and when people do do it they use an plant or mineral oil that has a very very high flash point and whos vapors are not combustable.

8. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

maybe this is a stupid question.. but do you really need a computer like that for calculating genome algorithms?

anyway... submerging that beast is probably a bad idea. submerging doesnt work because the fluid is not well mixed. Even it is, i dont see any advantage of doing so.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Submerging is an idiotic idea. It's all show, no go. It makes for a funny talking point and nothing more.

If you want to liquid cool, and don't want to "risk" water, use Fluorinert as suggested by LVMike and demonstrated by Nexxo. But back when I had SLI going, my system probably put out a good bit more heat than that thing. Not to try and shrug off that system, but it won't kick out an insane amount of heat, and certainly nothing that could get even the metaphorical title of fire hazard. Far far less than the Dell Quad SLI, and that thing was air cooled (a number of Quad-SLI are watercooled, but I'm making a point). Air cooling would be perfectly effective, and if you're paranoid about the risks of watercooling (tbh, it sounds like you're either uninformed or misinformed), you might as well just stick with air.

For the record though, if that's for a home system, you'll find that you wasted a massive amount of money. Massive. And the Quadro line of GPUs will be absolute crap for gaming, as they're optimized for OpenGL and nothing uses that anymore. And unless you've got a server OS (read: *not* XP), you can't even address 4GB of memory, let alone six, and regardless you'd want two sets of matched pairs to run in Dual Channel mode.

10. Arkantos

thank you for all your replies.

@fr4nk:
    yep! this is a workstation.
    so turbocool is good. thanx!

@Cthippo:
    by phase change cooling, do you mean the seaback effect? the phenomenon which is used by air-conditioners?

vegetable oil is viscous. wont that affect the heat cycle?

@fr4nk:
    i read you. so submerging is out. and i need to make blocks. i understand copper is the best material?
    i am fairly decent at machining stuff.

@TheColdLord:
    well, i havent thought up a budget, but INR 50,000 (USD 1,250) sounds nice.
    is 'FireGL V7350 1024 GDDR 3 RAM' from nvidia? a link would be appreciated.

@LVMike:
    i was wondering about silicone oils. are they any good? they dont catch fire...

@modster:
    the calculation part of the deal can be taken care of by the processor and the ram, its the visualisation that is killing me. i need minimum 2 displays, but the more the merrier.

the calculation is pretty decent. on my current rig, 3.06HT dual core - 2 gb, it takes around 4 days to calculate a data point. by my calculations, this setup should reduce that to under 20 hrs.

@firehed:
    you are right. i am paranoid and uninformed, since this is the first time i have trying any non-conventional cooling method.
    my current rig is air cooled.

in my opinion, XP is THE most bogus OS developed till date, even win 3.1 is better. this system will be running redhat. w2k will not be able address all the ram, so i was thinking of running win2k3. is that workable in a dual boot environment?

this rig, though it will stay at home, is not a home computer. its for research.
    you say quadro series is crap for gaming. is there any card that can give 2/4 displays AND play good games??

what do you mean by matched pairs?

thank you all for replying.
    Ark!

ps. i was checking the reviews for 'pc ice', i and i found mixed responses.
    is '3M HFE 7100 Fluid' better?

Last edited: 30 Jul 2006
  11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Fluorinert or the new HFE 7100 fluids are the best options, but remember that they evaporate like nuts. You'd need to not only suspend your system in a container, but make it air-tight as well.

The reason that these things generally are not done is because they are impractical and expensive for the return you get. Stick to conventional setups.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

And for God's sake, don't make your own WC blocks - they'll never come close to the ability of shelf-bought ones.

13. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

Interesting products. I like the HFE-7200 is has a higher boiling point. THese could very easily replace water ethanol mixes in water chiller set ups, and have the benifit of being inert. Good find Nexxo.

14. Fr4nk

Took the words right out of my mouth ^^. Check out the Extreme cooling links thread for watercooling shops :)

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

hm depends what skillz u have with a CNC machine if you can draw for said machine and also if what ideas and enginering background you have too :). As we all know Cather the greatest block maker so to speak is a normal man just like u and i so i wouldn't rule out homebrew.

Alas a TDX is cheap as chips lol

16. Arkantos

thank you all for replying.

i am sitting in india, and the postal service isnt too great.

i have access to a spark erosion rig, a milling mc, and a radial drill.
    i wont say my machining skills are great, but somehow i get along.
    at home i have a drill press and a small wachmaker's lathe - very small - 12"X4" max job size!

i you all agree, i think i will attempt to make the wc blocks. if they are not up to scratch, i always have Cather :)

i have seen the kind of quality standard you guys maintain, and i *think* i can do it. let me cross my fingers. this is gonna be a great learning experience.

as for the fluid, i was thinking of double-distilled ethelyne glycol.
    it is non-conductive to a <insert pun here>
    reads out to 48.7 mega ohms per mm on my meter.
    is it acceptable?

Ark!

17. Fr4nk

Ok let me rephrase that, if you have acces to a CNC machnice (hrm... I wonder who has one of those :p) or a milling machine etc and a good design behind it by all means, go homebrew but if it's a poop design and not thought out well then or being made in a ghetto fashion then I wouldn't expect much preformance from it rendering it rather useless.

18. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

19. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I have a good idea for a WC block. Take a stock hsf and pass water through it. Basically make a box around it :p.

Using anything flammable in a computer is a bad idea. The problem may be less of a if it leaks it won't short anything but, if it leaks and something shorts it will burn problem to face.

Most petroleums do not like plastic very much either. Some warp and discolor plastic. By phase change he means like AC but cools much colder than standard ac loop. I had an idea of a liquid nitrogen phase change idea. If you go money to spend you could try it out. It would besically consist of a high pressure system around 1000psi. Quicly decompressign the gas into a chamber mounted to the cpu super cooling it. THe premade phase change units are good for you. If you think you need it. Really you could use fans or wc but fans is all you need.

20. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Senfu beat you to it on that idea, over 8 years ago ;) Yes - a company did actually think that would work... however, soon as waterwetter was added, the plastic housing split and fell apart...

[​IMG]

Tags: