1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Work Experiance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ocha, 16 Feb 2002.

1. ocha

ocha Minimodder

hey everyone i just wanted to say that I just spent a week in siemens network systems limited. i.e. playing around with £70K worth of equipment how fun. hehehe

2. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Soundzz nice - what exactly did you get to play with?

Charlie

3. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

thats cool. At my work ex place they did the same, they trust you with loadsa kit ie: £3000 a week rental 120gig Compaq tape drive and p3 700 laptops etc.

4. ocha

ocha Minimodder

i got to pplay with 2 cisco C3600 series XL switches 1 ickle 1600 R router, 2 other huge routers tho i coudn't see the front. and a cisco catalyst 5000 with all the kit. psu's sups etc etc. If u know what any of that means hehehe. apparently it was worth £70k pretty cool hey

5. RTT

RTT #parp

1st work experience i spent a day in an IT dept of a financial place

2nd work ex i spent 2 weeks at a news-agents :mad:

6. ocha

ocha Minimodder

yeah it was wicked a week playing with all that equipment was wicked. Hopefully may be going back for some more in the summer. fingers crossed:D

7. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

Summer jobs are gooood - i spent a few weeks in an IT place, getting to play with loadza nice stuff - and i got paid - AND i got stuff @ discount price :D Wahayy

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I wish I could apply for work experience... I want to be an oil boy for the miss world competition...

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

lol

I'd like that as my full time job :D

10. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

hehehe, absolutly no education in anything computer related...

Yet I work as the one and only Computer Tech for a Corporation that has 78 Computers and 300 people, hrmmmmm:rofl:

I have messed with everything I can think of.... and figured out all problems in some way....

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Pah call that work experience ;) I did air traffic control (and I'm not joking!)

The year before i spent a day messing around in the avionics department at RAF Cosford, messing around with circuits and multimeters and leccy bits from jet fighters :D

12. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

ATC? What did you think of it? I am, on paper, an air traffic controller. Although I don't actually do any air traffic, at the moment I am IT. Cosford aint quite the major airfeild though, it's more of a glider site :) , I hope you did ATC somewhere else!!!

13. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

I did some very basic ATC in the control tower at Wolverhampton Business airport :) it was ok, though its a quiet field mind so not always that much going on. Also its a flight information service, so not true ATC like you'd get at a decent airfield.

We did get a couple of Navy Lynxes come past low level, and we filed a complaint because they didnt notify us of their presence even though they were crossing the threshold of the active runway a mile out!

We also had some Welsh dude flying the pattern the wrong way :rofl: so words were exchanged as soon as the guy landed. He got a left hand circuit and a right hand mixed up :eek:

Also an RAF Chinook put down on the runway to take on 4 tonnes of fuel on its way to Hereford, and I was taken out to have a look at it inside and out which was pretty cool :)

ATC, well it can be pretty stressful, and its boring when its quiet, but it was very interesting for the 2 weeks i was there!

14. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

it's not work experience exactly, but I've been to Telehouse Docklands a couple of times now, and what they've got in there puts EVERYTHING you're talking about to complete and utter shame.

Everything in the UK goes through telehouse - it's THE capital of communications.

15. ocha

ocha Minimodder

very cool er so how much can you get back hehehehe only jk

16. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

god u guys did cool work experience... i spent a week in an architect's office (dafting up drawings and sweet talking clients, and not understanding builders :confused: )
    better than working at the local florists or whatever the other ppl did tho :rolleyes:

/me is jealous of phil
    ATC sounds well cool (well the work exp bay :D)

fly i hope you didn't want him landing planes at heathrow :rolleyes:

/me gotta find summer work or something to do IT work

Tags: