1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Working out a percentage.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 4 Apr 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Is there a simple way work out what percentage of one number is to another as in.

What percentage is 17 of 70? Now I know it is nearly 24% because I Googled it but is there a reasonably simple way to work this sort of equation out?

The reason I ask is that is the amount EDF want to reduce my monthly Direct debit but I think there sums are wrong and by accepting this reduction I will end up in debt at the end of the contract length. I think Which magazine had an article recently about energy companies deliberately pricing there supplies to make them attractive but are actually not the real cost as I discovered last year when I was hit by a bill of £350 from Daligas. Though the bill was not made up of purely unpaid for supplies, but that is another story.

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

divide 17 by 70, multiply by 100.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Bloody hell your a bit sharp for a Monday morning. But that does not seem to be particularly simple.

As the answer according to Google is 0.24285714285 when multiplied by 100 gives about 24% so not a particular easy way of working out in ones head.

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Waiting for my boss to get in so I can find out what needs doing (everything) as I've been out of the office for two weeks. Oh, and I've been up for 3 & 3/4 hours...

You could divide 100 by 70 and then multiply by 17, but with those numbers its never going to be easy...

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Those numbers were little more than an example but the question has occurred to me on more than one occasion. Thanks.

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I know how you feel, the wife got us onto a ridiculously low deal with Npower until we both noticed it and challenged them. We had to pay back a couple of hundred over the course of a few months by that time though. I really don't think the way they calculate everything is clear enough for most people.

For percentages, the easiest way is to always have a calculator and follow MadGingas instructions!

If you do need to do it in your head, you can break it down a bit. Taking you numbers:

70/10 = 7, that's 10%
    7 (10%) times 2 = 14, that's 20%
    You then have 3 left (17 - 14), which is just less than half of the 10% figure of 7, so this roughly another 4% to 5%.

Add the percentages up = 24% to 25%.

So to get a rough idea, just break any numbers down to 10% 'blocks' which makes it (a bit) simpler.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers that works for me. My old faithful calculator died after a decades of service and have not replaced it as don't feel the need. So your doing in the head method seems pretty fair.

As for the first part of your thread I believe it is deliberate by utility companies to give the impression that statements are clear when in reality they are far from it.

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

Ctrl+Esc -> "c a l c" -> Enter

???

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I know where the calculator is thanks but here's a thing quite a lot of the time I am nowhere near a PC and so was looking for a simple mental method.

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Nearly any mobile phone has a calculator (even dumb nokia's and the like)

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

A simpler way is to do 17/0,7 = 24,285...

12. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Yep, and once you owe them, you have to pay them back before you can switch... gits.

My Father-in-Law had the same issue with Scottish (Spanish) Power a year or two back when they wanted to drop his monthly payments in half, even though he was only overpaying by a handful of pounds when averaged over the year. He had to argue with them to keep them at a sensible level.

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

just can just ask the sum in google and it answers it for you. do it all the time for percentages

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just discovered though it took another 10 emails is the reason the sum I now pay will drop nearly 25% is that my overall cost has been estimated over the 6 months till the end of the current tariff I am on. Though why this could not be explained earlier is beyond me.