1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Working Refridgerator Computer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by VirtualJedi, 29 Sep 2004.

1. VirtualJedi

VirtualJedi What's a Dremel?

I have this mini like fridge.. I was pondering the idea of placing my computer in there. PSU, MOBO, DVD drive etc etc... and at the same time have a working fridge?

Is this dangerous? In the sense to the computer and not the fridge to keep the computer cool?

2. Go4t

Go4t i

the fridge will not cool it like you want as the motor turns on and off as necessary to keep food cool
    running the motor all the time will burn it out

3. Darv

Darv Bling!!

It simply won't work. A fridge is designed to cool food by a few degrees. It isn't designed to dissapate anything like the amount of heat that comes from a computer.

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Your talking about a mini-fridge, I assume TEC driven, their about 65W would be totally 100% crap.

'doc

5. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

Bah, try it anyway.. I've always wanted to try it but always too lazy.. I want to see the results..

Target has a dorm fridge on sale for 45 bucks.. :)

-scoob8000

6. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

you will prob get some kind of condensation on the mobo. not reccomended.

7. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

yeah condensation will be a big problem. it will build up and fry everything

8. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

yeah but couldnt you just like dehumidfy the fridge some how of mabye if you had access a motor form a larger friged mabye form a commerical one at a junkyard then it will work i think

9. calking13

calking13 What's a Dremel?

or if u had water cooling u could put the radiator in there, that might work, I've been considering it.

10. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

VirtualJedi, don't be discouraged. If you don't try this mod I will be forced to try it.. :)

I don't think condensation would be a problem unless the door is constantly being opened..

-scoob8000

11. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

for the water cooling, nobody replied to my other thread but...

if you took a conventional vapor freezer/fridge coils+compresser and put the cold coil in side of your resoviar and had a giant fan blow thrugh the hot part.... would that work?

12. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

he he he, you should use a chest freezer not a fridge,. My friend did this once, except he got access to a Commercial Freezer they use at Health Canada, dropped the temp down to -25C put a 486 in there it worked until they took it out the freezer and that killed some of the IC chips. It was so COOL.

13. madmodder

madmodder What's a Dremel?

If you could somehow replace the glass in a mini fridge with a TFT monitor that would look COOOOOOOL :thumb: Probably would get condensation in the back of the monitor and sod it up...would be a costly mistake!

Keep us posted if you do it! Would look great, and be very functional! A PC and beer cooler in one! MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE!!!

14. toxicfeet

toxicfeet What's a Dremel?

Um... if your gunna waste money on a mini fridge why not just buy a dehumidifier and use the condenser coil from it to cool water in a water cooling setup it would do about the same thing.

edit opps! shoulda read a couple posts up! :blush:

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

:search: this question has been asked before, and it has been done with mini freezers (not sure about mini fridges). In all actuallity if you could turn the condenser on to run 24/7 it would be quite fine as the act of stopping and starting is generally what burns out the condenser. As far as condensation you can start with a couple of desicant packets (you know those lil things your not supposed to eat, and buy a can of Conformal spray. A thin coat is already over the mobo traces ( thats how they color em) but you can go buy the spray for a few bucks and cover all the solder points again ( they solder thru it). Between those 2 measure your computer should run fine. the hard part would be getting the wires out.