1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Worth using in anyway?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitlog, 15 Mar 2009.

1. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

My current setup is

Asus P5n-e sli mobo
    E8500 cpu

I got given an old rig of a mate and it has a gigabyte K8NSNXP -939 mobo, the cpu seems dead as when ever you turn the rig on it beeps like a bus when in reverse, plus i had a look and a couple of the cpu pins are bent, it has 2 HD not looked what there size etc.

but my question is could if i wanted to put the hard drives in my rig and is it worth keeping the mobo and getting a new amd 64 cpu and having something like a media or storage rig and something just to practice things like over clocking on, or would i be better with buying more up to date/budget stuff to do the above options?

Thanks

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A 939 board with pretty much anything would happily make a file server for many years to come, it'll do media duties, but struggle with 1080p playback.

3. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

If it was just a case of a cheapo Athlon 64 Sk939 to get it running then yeah, be a nice torrent-grabber/file-server. I am sure loads of people have old Sk939s kicking around. I had one my mate lost it, so I am afraid I don't have one going, but for £20-ish worth it!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/95863 - 3000+ for £25, little high, but itll get the system running

4. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply's and info

didn't realise the cpu would be so cheap, and the file-server is a nice idea, but it would be my first, are they difficult to set-up and maintain?

5. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

you should be able to pick up a socket 939 X2 for about £20-30 off ebay. I got a 4400 for about £25 which is now living in my media pc.

6. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Beeping like "1....1....1....1" is normally ram related (from my OC'ing experience).

Remove all but 1 stick, reset the bios, and try a boot.

I've still got a 3800 venice clocked at 2.8ghz stock cooling +150mV etc etc, with an Asus k8v (via Chipset) running as a folding/torrent/media/anything i can throw at it. Been holding its own for 3-4 years now.

Overclocking with the 939 boards was a bit hit and miss in my experience, with clocks holding with prime95 loops fine, then mysteriously failing boots.

Just ensure that the hammer vids, nb/chipset voltages are set to around 1.4v then increment slowly until you reach 266mhz, this seems to be the barrier for my 939's (3.06ghz) but they don't loop so good.

Using the hard disks in your current rig shouldn't be a problem.

Brilliant chips, and as stated above, will pretty much manage anything you can throw at it.