1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows X Rebirth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zurechial, 20 Apr 2011.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Used the 'Windows' category as this will likely be released first on Windows and there's no generic PC Gaming category - But this will likely see release on Linux and Mac as well.

Cannot. Wait.

I really hope they add more depth to the ships themselves this time around, but a new X game is always a good thing. :D
    2011 is looking to be a very interesting year for games.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:eeek:

I didn't think they were doing another X series?

I spent hours on X3TC, kind of just petered out at the end as I didn't see what else I could do but enjoyable nonetheless.

This will be on the christmas list though. :)

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:eek: Oh my god!
    This has just stolen the spot at the top of my list to of things to buy... I want it so badly.

I thought Terran Conflict was going to be the last one as well, so happy that they've decided to continue with more awesomeness.

4. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Could never get around the controls of either X3 or Eve:Online.... Too many hours of playing Freelancer =P

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Oh yes, 2011 just got better! :D

What the hell, we've had a lull in good game releases the last few years, then this year strikes.... my wallet will be in ribbons by the end of the year.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

My thoughts exactly, 2011 is turning out to be a great year for games. :D

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Well I've got a few months to get my PC rebuilt and finish playing X3TC. Looks great and I like that they haven't tried to create a whole new concept but taken the chance to fundamentally change the game without the constraints carried over for the older games.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

OH F**K YES!!!

Ahem, excuse me.

gilljoy likes this.
  9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Yeah, I think is a brilliant idea. Blizzard did it with WoW and it worked out well and I think it's a smart way to freshen up a game's universe without losing continuity.

10. adidan

Nice and simple way to start over. Supernova wipes a shed load of stuff out and everything/everybody has to build over again and fight for dominance.

Simple but effective. :)

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Is it easy to jump into these things without playing the previous games? Looks really interesting.

12. adidan

The first I played was X3:Terran Conflict (the most recent in the series). Threw myself in, never looked back.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Yeah, don't worry about that. Honestly, the plot in the X games has never been very strong or well-presented. It's good for some direction to the game, but the real fun in X is the sandbox gameplay of exploring (and maybe conquering) the huge universe and its economy.

Playing the previous games will give you some sense of where things lie story-wise, but honestly if they're doing this one almost like a reboot I'd imagine it'll be as good a choice to start with as any of the previous titles.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sort of. I'd see if you can get X2 for cheap as that actually had a tutorial. The menu systems are quite straightforward after that, and combat is standard fare (albeit very pretty). Don't worry about the story though, it's not up to the standard of the rest of the game, though some missions can be quite fun.

It's definitely worth it though. Most of the systems are nice looking but some are just downright jaw dropping (Kingdom End springs to mind). I also find that X3 really hammers home that weird felling of floating in nothing - kind of like being in the middle of a sea and you can't see the bottom even though visibility is 100m+.

15. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Gona have to reinstall x3 again this looks bloody brilliant.

This year is gona ruin my wallet, whats coming out soon besides portal 2? my wallet wants a break lol

16. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Oh my, that's pretty. I've never played an X game before, is it like Freespace/Freelancer etc.? Or more Homeworld type?

17. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

More like freespace I assume as I've never played freespace and freelancer but its not really like homeworld at all besides being set in space

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The beauty of the game is that you can actually do quite a lot! Primarily it's more like Freespace but you can also be a trader, build space stations, command large fleets etc.

What I particularly like is that different classes of ship have different handling styles: fighters (light through to heavy) are nimble; corvettes are more sluggish but have much more punch and turrets that can engage automatically; and the cruiser size ships are okay for travelling in straight lines but have obscene amounts of fire power.

Hmm, seems I've talked myself into replaying TC again!

19. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Ah, Freespace.. now that was a great game. Hope there is a new X3 benchmark tool as the existing one is impressive. :)

20. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

wow that looks fantastic... It's Freelancer, or what Freelancer should have been.

+adds to wishlist on Firefox+

Good catch chap :D